Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Low angle jack plane vs jointer plane

Low angle jack plane vs jointer plane

I have a Lie Nielsen low angle jack plane. Was going to need to flatten some glue ups, any advice if this is the best plane to use? Currently has a 30Deg bevel on the blade. Should I get a 50deg blade too?

My wood is mostly flat sawn, some knots but not alot.

Thanks

Jim, the 30 degree blade is really only good for end grain, or for planing across the grain. I would get a second blade and add a 40-50 degree secondary bevel for jointing.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Jim, the 30 degree blade is really only good for end grain, or for planing across the grain. I would get a second blade and add a 40-50 degree secondary bevel for jointing.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Ok, Thanks. Im using this for soft wood.

Just to be clear, my blade now is 25 degree with a "micro-bevel" of a couple degrees, and then a back bevel of 10 degrees. Are you saying get a second blade and put a 40 degree bevel, plus the micro bevel and back bevel?

I have the Veritas MK.II sharpening jig. Its got these recommendations. It says 25-30deg bevel angle is good for softwood.

Im a hand tool plane novice, so only know what I have read.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    42* only good for end grain?
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by James Pallas View Post
    42* only good for end grain?
    Jim
    Is it 30* on the blade, and then the bed of the plane adds 12* for total?

So my 2nd blade would be 50* plus 12* of the plane for total of 62*?

This is where I get confused about planes! Im going to watch a few videos on the Lie Nielsen youtube channel and see what I can pick up

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Riseborough View Post
    Ok, Thanks. Im using this for soft wood.

Just to be clear, my blade now is 25 degree with a "micro-bevel" of a couple degrees, and then a back bevel of 10 degrees. Are you saying get a second blade and put a 40 degree bevel, plus the micro bevel and back bevel?

I have the Veritas MK.II sharpening jig. Its got these recommendations. It says 25-30deg bevel angle is good for softwood.

Im a hand tool plane novice, so only know what I have read.
    Jim, the LN blades all come with a 25 degree primary bevel. If you add an extra 5 degrees as a secondary bevel, (i.e. 30 degree) you are creating a cutting angle of 42 degrees (12 degrees bed + 30 degree bevel).

Now you MUST NOT use a 10 degree back bevel on a BU plane! This destroys the clearance needed - it reduces it to 2 degrees. Where on Earth did you get this idea? It is crazy ... and quite unnecessary if you are thinking it is a way to strengthen the blade. LN make excellent A2 blades. They are cryogenically treated.

If you were using a double iron BD plane, I would suggest that you close up the chip breaker in the face of tearout. However, since you are using a BU plane, you need to increase the cutting angle. The "common" angle is 45 degrees. You are below this, more in line with a cutting angle used specifically for end grain. But it really is a neither here-nor-there cutting angle. Too high to give the best in end grain, and too low to plane face grain (unless it is clear, strain grained wood).

I use a 25 degree bevel for end grain. Never had a problem with chipping A2 at this angle. I use a 50 degree bevel (= 62 degree cutting angle) for face or edge grain on the local hard woods. Go lower with your woods, hence a 40 degree bevel for a 52 degree cutting angle. Create this by adding a 40 degree secondary bevel to a 25 degree primary bevel. And please get rid of the back bevel!

Regards from Perth

Derek

The best plane is a double iron bench plane. You can probably buy a serviceable plane for not too much more than a spare iron for your low angle plane.

Jim, the LN blades all come with a 25 degree primary bevel. If you add an extra 5 degrees as a secondary bevel, (i.e. 30 degree) you are creating a cutting angle of 42 degrees (12 degrees bed + 30 degree bevel).

Now you MUST NOT use a 10 degree back bevel on a BU plane! This destroys the clearance needed - it reduces it to 2 degrees. Where on Earth did you get this idea? It is crazy ... and quite unnecessary if you are thinking it is a way to strengthen the blade. LN make excellent A2 blades. They are cryogenically treated.

If you were using a double iron BD plane, I would suggest that you close up the chip breaker in the face of tearout. However, since you are using a BU plane, you need to increase the cutting angle. The "common" angle is 45 degrees. You are below this, more in line with a cutting angle used specifically for end grain. But it really is a neither here-nor-there cutting angle. Too high to give the best in end grain, and too low to plane face grain (unless it is clear, strain grained wood).

I use a 25 degree bevel for end grain. Never had a problem with chipping A2 at this angle. I use a 50 degree bevel (= 62 degree cutting angle) for face or edge grain on the local hard woods. Go lower with your woods, hence a 40 degree bevel for a 52 degree cutting angle. Create this by adding a 40 degree secondary bevel to a 25 degree primary bevel. And please get rid of the back bevel!

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Thanks for the explanation. So I ordered another blade, I will add an extra 15 degrees to it to get to 40 on the blade and 52 total.

The back bevel came from sharpening some Bevel down planes. I have not back beveled my LN blade that is in it. I am forgetting the jack plane is BU.

Thanks

Jim

I think you should get a #6 plane for this task.

After using one, personally I've never seen the advantage of a BU plane. I have a the same LN BU & originally got it for shooting board. Turns out its too light and doesn't fit my hand well, even with hotdog.

All I use it for now is end grain and cross grain flattening panels.

Jim, you may be getting a little confusion with the terminology of bevels. It does get confusing with micro bevels, secondary bevels and especially back bevels. Back bevel is a term generally used for a bevel put on the flat side of a bevel down plane to increase the angle from 45* degree angle of the frog. No use that I know of for a bevel up plane. Maybe you should watch a few videos to get a handle on it. I would not try to mix bevel up and bevel down plane terminology it will just be confusing. Two very different animals.
    Jim

Blog Entries
    I have a Lie Nielsen low angle jack plane. Was going to need to flatten some glue ups, any advice if this is the best plane to use? Currently has a 30Deg bevel on the blade. Should I get a 50deg blade too?

My wood is mostly flat sawn, some knots but not alot.

Thanks
    My reply to, "any advice if this is the best plane to use" brings up a few questions.

How much flattening is there to be done?

How big are the glue ups?

What other planes do you have that can be put to the task?

With some glue ups my LA Jack does okay. Some of fir with swirly grain tend to have problems. The LA Jack can be effective across grain to get rid of high spots.

Around knots my low angle blade (25º) tends to cause more tear out in soft woods around knots or spots with changing grain. With great care a bevel down plane can work around knots to help counter tear out. This requires a shorter plane like a smoother, a scraper or a higher angle to the blade's edge.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

There are days I really like my LA jack and days I reach for a bevel down. A #62 is certainly capable of doing the job. You might need a higher angle blade if you decide you need the low angle you have on the current one for shooting, end grain what have you. Do you use it enough in those roles to keep it at that bevel?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    My reply to, "any advice if this is the best plane to use" brings up a few questions.

Boards were jointed and planed. The glue up maybe varies by 1/32"

It will be 4'-0" x 9'-0"

Some block planes, nothing of top quality. Stanley #4 maybe (they are older, I have not played around with them, got them at an auction)

With some glue ups my LA Jack does okay. Some of fir with swirly grain tend to have problems. The LA Jack can be effective across grain to get rid of high spots.

Around knots my low angle blade (25º) tends to cause more tear out in soft woods around knots or spots with changing grain. With great care a bevel down plane can work around knots to help counter tear out. This requires a shorter plane like a smoother, a scraper or a higher angle to the blade's edge.

jtk
    See above in bold.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Wilkins View Post
    There are days I really like my LA jack and days I reach for a bevel down. A #62 is certainly capable of doing the job. You might need a higher angle blade if you decide you need the low angle you have on the current one for shooting, end grain what have you. Do you use it enough in those roles to keep it at that bevel?
    I will have blades with 25* and 40* each one. I just ordered a new blade to cut to 40*

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke:

Boards were jointed and planed. The glue up maybe varies by 1/32"

It will be 4'-0" x 9'-0"

Some block planes, nothing of top quality. Stanley #4 maybe (they are older, I have not played around with them, got them at an auction)

jtk
    See above in bold.
    Then my best advice would be to use what you have and learn from the experience.

If you can get the #4 working well, that would be a help.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)