Thread: motorizing a meat grinder

motorizing a meat grinder

I want to motorize my #22 meat grinder and need to make a speed reducer. I have the choice between American made bronze bearing pillow blocks or chinese ball bearing blocks. What would you chose? I'll post my thoughts later. thanks

Unless you are operating a meat market, the bronze ones will most likely outlast you. My antique Hamilton Beach meat grinder has sleeve bearings in it. Have you looked on the bay for a right angle gear motor? Another option is a right angle Milwaulkee drill. The half inch ones go for around $50 in pawn shops here. With the drill, you could use a cheap router speed control to set the speed, as most of the right angle ones aren't VS.
    Last edited by Bruce Wrenn; 01-08-2019 at 8:40 PM.

Bruce, Thanks! I'm normally a darn creative person but this thought never crossed my mind. There were a multitude of hesitations with motorizing this grinder. This solves them all, and adds reverse. I have an old Thor 1/2" drill that will be perfect for this to start. I think it is 250 rpm and it's brushed so the motor controller will work.

Blog Entries
    My wife wanted an easier way to grind coffee:

Battery Powered Coffee Grinder.jpg

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)