Thread: Storing Wood Glue??

Storing Wood Glue??

The tip of my Titebond glue gets crusty and over time becomes difficult to use. There is nothing easier than a new bottle when gluing up. Is there something I can do to improve storing wood glue?

Get a squeeze bottle that has a cap for the tip. For me that's a $1 tomato sauce bottle from the supermarket but that depends on how important tomato sauce is in you culture. If you like to keep the original bottle, frequent cleaning is the best option but always make sure it is capped properly between jobs. Also keep an eye on shelf life. Only buy what you can use within that shelf life. While it's not dead if it's a bit over, it's is more difficult to us. Cheers

I use retired mustard bottles with a twist top to dispense Titebond 1. I do have to clean the tip from time to time but they are nice for laying down a consistent bead of glue. I have been using the same two bottles for 12 years or so but one of them has recently finally worn out. I've got my eye on a new mustard bottle in the fridge and when it finally becomes empty in another year or two I'll take it to the shop for a spare.
    Zach

My approach is to let the wood glue dry on the cap of the original glue squeeze bottle after use. My theory is it helps seal the glue inside and it takes about 1 second to peel it off for next use as it doesn’t stick permanently to the plastic. A pain maybe but not a big deal.

On rollers, spreaders and table mats I use silicone though so I can wash it up after each use.

Blog Entries
    I do a couple of things. I use GluBots so the original bottle is just a storage device most of the time. If I end up with a lot of glue in the original bottle and dispense from it, I set the bottle upright after use, a moment or two later I close the cap and wipe the tip. I do not get build up or at least do not get it in the time it takes me to consume a bottle of glue. One thing I have learned is that it is more economical to buy smaller amounts of glue and back fill than to buy too much and have it go south on me.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Zachary Hoyt View Post
    ...I've got my eye on a new mustard bottle in the fridge and when it finally becomes empty in another year or two I'll take it to the shop for a spare. Zach
    OK, you win grand prize for the Frugal Woodworker of the Year. The prize is we take up a collection and buy you a new bottle. They are even available with happy faces for the happy shop!

__temp.jpg

JKJ

When I read your post I became concerned that the first sentence was codespeak for a medical problem.

Seriously though, I keep a few pipe cleaners near the sink in my shop and occasionally have to remove the glue bottle cap and wash out and clean the whole thing, including the congealed glue inside the cap. This takes about 30 seconds under running water. These bottles clean up really well and then behave like brand new until you need to do it again. Also, I never throw away a Titebond bottle. Once depleted, you can wash them out and re-use them so now I have a few clean empty ones on the shelf ready to go. Obviously the caps are interchangeable in this way too, so if you find your cap/tip is gunked up when you're in the middle of a glue up, just grab a clean one.
    Edwin

I've been using French's mustard flip tops for years. The thread is correct, and they don't clog.
    I have a new bottle of Titebond III which I won't even open to do some gluing without even changing the top.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    OK, you win grand prize for the Frugal Woodworker of the Year. The prize is we take up a collection and buy you a new bottle. They are even available with happy faces for the happy shop!

__temp.jpg

JKJ
    Thanks, I've been a cheapskate for a long time. I actually did buy a set of two bottles like the ones in your picture but without the happy face for $1 a few years ago but they seemed to be a somewhat thinner plastic than my old mustard bottles so I haven't used them much. I like the control that a squeeze bottle gives over the size of the glue bead, and I've gotten so used to the mustard bottles that I don't know what I 'd do if I had to go back to the little bottles the glue comes in from the store with the little tongue in the center. I buy Titebond 1 in gallon bottles once or twice a year, so I haven't had the factory dispenser bottles in a while.
    Zach

French's mustard cap on the Titebond bottle works for me.

You also have to store it out of direct sunlight and away from excessive heat. I had a Glu-Bot about half-full with Titebond III that I accidentally left in the window in the shop for a couple of weeks and when I came back, it was a hardened mess. Took me the better part of a day to clean the bottle out.

Thumbs up To let the wood glue dry on the cap (one more!)

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    My approach is to let the wood glue dry on the cap of the original glue squeeze bottle after use. My theory is it helps seal the glue inside and it takes about 1 second to peel it off for next use as it doesn’t stick permanently to the plastic. A pain maybe but not a big deal.

On rollers, spreaders and table mats I use silicone though so I can wash it up after each use.
    [Bold mark mine]

That is exactly I have made in the last 30 years. Works at most cases.
    All the best.

Osvaldo.

The new bottles Rockler sells have a much larger cap, so you can keep track of it, and I just set it back on the bottle, avoids having a chunk of dry glue clogging up your glue bottle. I buy my glue by the gallon.

I keep about seven of those 8 oz Titebond due bottles on hand (plus a couple TB2 and TB3 ones) and rotate through them so that I always have a few full ones with clean tips. When the glue hardens on a few of the tips, I clean them off. It is easier to do when it is dry. I keep them filled with a gallon jug. I like the size of the 8 oz bottles and the flat spreading tip. It just seems to work well with how I do my glue ups.

When the tips eventually get messed up, I just buy new bottles, probably 3 or 4 a year.

I have two tightbond 16 oz bottles I've been refilling for a couple of years. I store them upside down in tin cans weighted with a little leftover thinset. A little glue seeps out then they seal themselves very well. Just pull the bottle out of the can, pick the glue booger off the tip and pop it open. I also store the gallon jugs upside down. Don't know if it help the jugs but it can't hurt.