Thread: Wicked Edge Knife Sharpener...Wow!

Wicked Edge Knife Sharpener...Wow!

Since this is a tool, I thought I'd post this here. Every once in a while, I read a thread asking about knife sharpening machines and jigs. A couple of months ago I got hooked on the Worksharp Ken Onion sharpener, so I got one. As a result, my interest grew and I started doing some reading and watching online. The more I researched, the more I found that Wicked Edge Sharpening Systems were arguably the best out there, so I got one of those.
    Now, if you're looking for a "best bang for your buck" kind of sharpener, then I don't think this is the one, as it is not cheap and runs anywhere from a few hundred to just over $1k. That said, you can start out with the basics and then add as you like. If you're the type that wants a close to perfect bevel angle and a mirror polish on your blades, then that's who Wicked Edge is made for. Also, in experienced hands, one can go from dull, to razor sharp, in minutes.
    I've been working with this sharpener for just a few weeks now. Although there is a learning curve and Q & A on the forum is encouraged, after only a few knives under my belt, I've been able to produce mirror edges or bevels, with the ability to whittle hair, while holding only one side of the strand, which is one of the ultimate tests of sharp knives. I'm truly not tooting my horn, but rather letting folks know that even someone of my limited dexterity can make this sharpener work.
    Here's a couple of pics. One of the system itself and another of a very cheap chef knife that I picked up at Walmart to practice on. Hopefully, you'll be able to make out the mirror edge on the knife.

I agree wholeheartedly with what you say and if you want even further capabilities check out the Edge Pro as well. It has a little tougher learning curve but once there it is also top of the line. My old Word Sharp is still the fastest and most convenient though.

Thanks for the reply, Bill. When I started searching, I saw Edge Pro and KME and maybe a couple others. All of these premium sharpeners are very similar designs. Seems like everyone was calling theirs the Wicked Edge Killer, so that's when I decided to zero in on Wicked Edge. I really could have gone for KME or Edge Pro, however it looked to me as though the WE had a more stout construction. Also, I like the fact that you can alternate strokes, without having to turn the blade over after every stroke. Using the WE, I do work one side at a time for most of the courser grits, however once I get past 1k, I always finish up a grit with alternating strokes. That's what seems to get the edge truly sharp. Without alternating, the edge does not feel sharp at all, probably because the burr is still there. I think alternating works that burr off. During stropping, alternating strokes is what gets the edge sharp enough to whittle hair, at least in my experience. My thinking was, if you could put two Edge Pros or KMEs together, then you might have something very close to the WE.
    Yes, the Work Sharp Ken Onion is a good system as well, for quick, good edges. Some say it gives a rounded bevel, which may help a knife retain its edge. I guess I just wanted to take it to the next level, which got me looking. I still have my WS and will use it on blades that the WE won't work well with. As for hand sharpening...I was getting pretty good at it, but now I see that my old edges had inconsistent bevel angles, so I never new if I was at 12, 15, 20* or what, per side. Now I can precisely set the angle I want and be consistent at it, when I resharpen.
    Like you said, working with any of these premium sharpeners will likely give you similar results, however the WE must have a cult a cult-like following for a reason.

Derek - Suggestion/recommendation for which model for someone who just wants sharp kitchen knives?

Bill, I'm new to WE as well, so getting advice from me would probably not get you the correct information. I would strongly suggest you get on the WE forum and ask the question in the "Getting Started" section. Great folks there who will give you good info. There may be sticker shock, but buy once and you'll save $. I'm proof of that, as I now own the WE, a Tormek, a Work Sharp Ken Onion and several other smaller knife sharpeners. If I only knew then...

Derek - thanks for the quick and instructive reply. The Forum has a very informative document that provides a user input on all the systems. Not cheap by any means.

I almost purchased one of these two years ago. At the time someone on a forum talked me out of it, and i bought a KO work sharp belt grinder at cost. So far the ken onion is really simple, and produces pretty good results. It does leave me with the impression of being a little gimmicky/QVC product,but it was really cheap and it seems to work. With that said, im not getting my shuns and wustoffs REALLY sharp. Im not taking translucent cuts off a tomato. Are there any limitations to this jig for kitchen knives? I have a single bevel nakiri, deba, and longer chef's knives of 10"+, all of which turned me away from this product a bit. People said it is difficult to sharpen longer knives because of the limited stroke length of the rods.

Patrick, I have a Shun, Khun and Miyabi. I'm saving the Miyabi till I know for sure I can do it justice. The chef knife shown in the pic is 9". After doing that long a blade, I can see that all you have to do is work the blade in sections, which is how I work the blade anyways, so it was no problem. I believe that's what those more experienced do as well.
    I think you and I are in very similar situations. Having those nice knives, I really wanted to have a way of sharpening them that would give me an edge as sharp or sharper than what it came with. My Miyabi came with a 26* total bevel edge. I should be able to get there with my version WE. That said, any angle that's close to that should give me what I want. Now, I'm even getting into folding pocket knives, which is a whole new thing for me. I would suggest that you as well, get on the WE forum and ask some questions. They really are helpful. Needless to say, I'm now a believer in WE.