Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unable to send private messge

Unable to send private messge

All of a sudden I am unable to sent private messages. Was that feature removed from my profile for some reason? I was able to send messages before?
    Thanks
    Mark

Mark, check out the sticky at the top of the forum.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Sorry Steve I am confused, what stick and which forum?

This is what I get when I try to create a new message? I am not trying to edit someone else's post or administrative features

Mark R Webster
    , you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
    2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

This is the link to the Announcement that you will find at the top of every Main Forum page concerning changes to Private Messages and Email. The same information has been shared in our Support Forum.

https://sawmillcreek.org/announcement.php?f=7&a=24

Private Messaging Privileges Have Changed

Private Messaging Privileges are now inaccessible to free-access Members.

Because the majority of our Members are now using advertisement blocking software we are being forced to adjust some access privileges. This is an effort to encourage everyone to help us maintain the necessary funding to remain online and support our costs including new hardware, software and bandwidth. Currently our costs have not increased but our income has decreased below our ability to remain at the present level of service. By updating your account to Contributor status you will continue to have full access here and your assistance is appreciated.

Last edited by Keith Outten; 01-07-2019 at 5:45 PM.

Thanks I figured it out and donated.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark R Webster View Post
    Thanks I figured it out and donated.
    So . . . Keith's evil plan is working . . .
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Appears so

I think you should contact admin

Quote Originally Posted by lewis white View Post
    I think you should contact admin
    Keith IS admin.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I made my donation... things are working again Thanks

I’m just a member here. I try to contribute to make this forum Active and lively. I saw another member and contributor here needing parts for a particular machine. I was willing to help them out and I tried to send them a PM. I don’t need these parts and I was going to ship them. Is this true, we’re not allowed to help out other struggling woodworkers here with PMs anymore? And those in the elite, can’t help out those that are in poverty?
    Last edited by Matt Mattingley; 01-16-2019 at 11:37 PM.

Full access will set you back about a penny and a half per day.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Full access will set you back about a penny and a half per day.
    Is this a response to my post??? I’m just a member! If I sent you just three weeks ago very valuable part to make your tablesaw work for free... so now you turn your nose to me. I get it. I am now the worker bee that is not allowed to have any backstage help. Are all the moderators forced to pay this? Or is this a fringe benefit because of your contribution to this forum? John, do you personally pay? Do all the moderators personally pay? And are you a struggling woodworker that is looking for help?

You’ve been a pretty honest person here. I respect your integrity! Have any of the moderators been given a free pass with out having to cough out an anti-out of their own personal pocket? I highly respect moderators and the job they do. They get no respect, sometimes they get no pay. Sometimes a lot of people hate moderators. Moderators do a tremendous job with absolutely no thanks or pay. I only ask one question, do any moderators here get a free pass?
    Last edited by Matt Mattingley; 01-17-2019 at 1:43 AM.

Matt, it comes down to economics and Keith has laid out what the situation is pretty clearly. Advertising is no longer supporting the cost of running this massive forum site...which is the same thing that many types of sites are experiencing because of changes in technology. Keith is asking for a whole six bucks right now and turning of Private Messages is merely an incentive. The alternative is going to be a subscription. This is NOT about "eliteness" or anything else. it's about keeping the site healthy financially.

As to your question about moderators...I've contributed hundreds of dollars to help maintain SMC since I joined in 2003. I'm answering out of courtesy to your question, despite the fact that it's frankly private information. I cannot speak to what others have contributed because that's not information any of us can see. Moderators don't get any "benefits" outside of the privilege of helping the site at a deeper level...and a little extra PM capacity because of all the work we have to do to keep things running smoothly. Oh, and we sometime get all that "respect" you mention, too.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 01-17-2019 at 9:21 AM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...