Thread: Dewalt 735 planer and dust collection bag problem

Dewalt 735 planer and dust collection bag problem

I build furniture mostly with hand tools but I have a Dewalt 735 planer and a bandsaw to make things easier. For the last year I had 4” flex pipe running from the planer to a king size pillow case to catch the chips and it worked GREAT. The problem I noticed though was a fine dust cloud floating thru my shop after using the planer and I decided I did not want to breathe this. So I bought a 5 micron Rockler dust collection bag to replace the pillow case. No more dust cloud, but I have the hardest time dumping the chips out of the bag. With the pillow case I just dumped them in a trash bag and they came out easily. With the Rockler bag I have tried both the entry hole and the zip open side, and the chips take several minutes of vigorous shaking to get out. I only let it get ¾ full hoping that would help but no luck. Am I missing something simple?

I’d at least hook up a shop vac with an upgraded “HEPA” filter.

Im not sure your going to have much luck with a work around straight out of the 735. We had a 735 for years for field work and used the stock flex hose and drawstring bag over a trash can but we were alway in a very open environment on a jobsite. My only guess for a home brew work around would be to install an additional small hose from the bag to an exterior window or something of that sort possibly with a valve that you could throttle to keep the bag inflated. This would let the 5 micron rockler bag plug up with fines and then the fines would blow out the small hose and directly out the window. If it worked I would ditch the rockler bag all together and trade it out for a non permeable bag and a larger hose out the window. This would allow all the course chips to be caught in the trash can and all the flour (fines) would go out the window. Drawback is blowing your warm winter air outside.

Beyond that you'd be looking at a conventional dust collection system. The 735 has very impressive chip extraction on-board so it'd sure be handy to take advantage of it if you could.

I had a 735 for a few years. I think for your situation, seeing as the 735 has a blower, you could use the principle of a two stage dust collection system without having the normal impeller that is sucking the chippings.

You might want to look at the Dust Stopper https://www.homedepot.com/p/Dustoppe...HD12/302643445 from Home Depot or replicate it using a cheap trash can.

You could attach you Rockler filter the the outfield/exhaust of the collector bin. Inside the bin, as you are using positive pressure, you can put a trash bag inside the bin to making emptying it easier.

Just a thought

I had the same setup as Mark but recently installed a Dust Deputy kit. I wish I had the container volume of the prior arrangement but the replacement is much better at controlling the dust level. I could send you the drawstring top if you pay the shipping.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

My 735 is always used outside my shop because my shop is small, but also because of the chip collection problem. I have the original DW7353 hose and barrel cover accessory that was once available from DeWalt and I attach it to the top of a 55 gallon plastic barrel with the included draw string. DeWalt stopped offering this accessory for the 735 and I don't understand why, because it works very well, although it likely doesn't catch the fine dust very well.

My shop dust collector can't handle the volume of chips produced by the 735, which is way more than a shop vac can handle, so don't bother even trying a shop vac. The blower in the 735 moves more air volume than the shop vac.

Black & Decker has a BV-006 lawn leaf collector accessory that looks very much like the DW7353 and it might fit or you might be able to adapt it, but I have only seen the BV-006 in photos, so I'm not certain that it will work. I don't think it would filter any better than your pillow case though, and I don't think I would ever want to use my 735 inside the shop with the DeWalt 7353 option, but it's been great for keeping the chips in the barrel and out of my neighbor's pool, as long as the draw string keeps the cover on the barrel. Outside, the wind carries the fine dust away and I try to stay up wind when using it.

Charley

I think some may misunderstand my question. I have no problem with the chips going into the Rockler 5 micron bag. They go in their excellent. The problem is how to dump them out of the Rockler bag? Mine won't come out easily at all.

I thought the rocker bag was an over top of the drum bag not a total chip bag. My mistake. In that case.. ditch the rocker bag or make into an over top of the drum bag and put a contractor bag in the drum and just let the rocker bag be the fines filter above the drum.

Alan, I have the same set up, hand tools and Dewalt 735 and Rikon 14 inch bandsaw. Started with Dewalt outside spewing chips out basement door into my backyard. The wife shut that down. Went to the Rocker 30 micron bag. Worked pretty good, but clearing the chips out was like disimpacting a constipated elderly person - digging and digging. I used a disposable dust mask because of the dust. My clothes were covered with dust. Because I was worried about the dust and my mild asthma was flaring on me I became suspicious that perhaps the Rockler bags do not deliver what they promise. I bit the bullet and entered the slippery slope of dust collection with an Oneida Mini Gorilla. Big bucks, HEPA filter. I think I like it ( my imagination? ) but my air seems clearer. I also notice that the Rockler bag system interferes with the blower to some extent because it is significant resistance, especially when the bag is beyond half filled. With my Oneida the chips no longer accumulate around my planer and on my planed wood. My planer performs better. My wallet is lighter. Mark
    Last edited by Mark Rainey; 01-08-2019 at 6:39 AM.