Thread: Downsides to a flip-top tool stand?

Downsides to a flip-top tool stand?

Looking at building one of these, planning on having the DW 735 planer on one side, and the Ridgid oscillating spindle/belt sander on the other.

Besides having to tear down / set up one or the other depending on what project I'm working on... and maybe not being an ideal height for one or the other... any particular 'gotchas' or problems I should be aware of going into this?

Biggest downside is likely only having one of them usable at a time, but that shouldn't impact most "single" woodworkers. Be sure that you have things balanced well so that the tools are "easy to flip"...if one tool is heavier, you'll want to compensate by adding weight on the other tool's side. Comfortable working height is good to consider; lower for the planer is easier than too high for the sander in your particular case.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Like Jim said, the one tool at a time thing is a pain. I have the sander and a planer on mine too. I find I get lazy to rotate and look for a different tool for the job when the planer or sander, which ever is currently upside down, is the better tool to use.

I also noticed recently that the planer tables might get out of alignment being upside down. You can't make fixed table either for the planer that I've seem some make. It bypasses the infeed and outfeed folding piles of garbage. I could have used that trying to feed a 40" slab this weekend. my ridgid planer's infeed and outfeed is only supported by the little adjustment screws. I need to figure out a platform that can go in and then taken down when not using. Something like this.

Blog Entries
    My old flip top migrated to dad's and those are just the tools he has on it. No regrets. One doesn't often plane, sand, plane, sand, plane, sand . . .
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

You can't put an old tool on a flip-top cart if it has an oil reservoir that will drain when the tool is upside down.

Oops!

I don't think it would be an issue for the planer but doesn't the spindle sander keep all it's accessories, etc on-board? I wouldn't think that would work upside down. Should be pretty easy to deal with, but there's that.

Mine worked well, was reasonably convenient, not my design ( I give credit at the start of the video), but when I sold the DW735, I gave the flip top stand away with it.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    Mine worked well, was reasonably convenient, not my design ( I give credit at the start of the video), but when I sold the DW735, I gave the flip top stand away with it.
    Good vid. Thanks for posting Chris.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”