Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dryer Outlet Splitter - Buy or Make?

Dryer Outlet Splitter - Buy or Make?

Thinking about getting this for $72 shipped. Would it be cheaper to make it? I only have 1 220 in my garage and it's used by the dryer, 5hp sawstop, 3hp jointer, and 5hp planer. I have to unplug each tool to use it and it's pain because the dryer outlet is behind the stacked washer dryer and a reach every time.

My dad plans to run some 220 and a sub panel but he's busy and who knows how long that will happen. I thought about getting a splitter like this which would allow me to have two tools plugged in BUT BUT I would only use one at a time. I'm the only one using my tools too, small 2 car garage. Being able to rip and then head to the jointer without having to unplug would be nice. Or keep saw plugged in and dryer plugged in so wife doesnt get mad about doing laundry and waiting for me.

Blog Entries
    I'm not sure I would use one. Too much chance of running two things at the same time and overloading the circuit.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

You still have to take turns using the dryer and the saw, assuming that there is a properly sized circuit breaker. It would be a lot more convenient to let both stay plugged in all the time.

220V plugs and sockets typically run about $10 each. I would buy the pre-built one.
    Steve

Yeah, you can make a homemade version of that for $30ish with a nice rubber coated 8 gauge cord. Up to you, if you value $35+/- more than 15 mins of your time. Assuming you are running everything off a 30a line, then i dont believe that little accessory is code compliant. Pretty sure 30amp 220v and up lines have to be dedicated circuits. Then again, im no electrician...

Not being able to use my tools at the same time as the dryer would kill my sundays.

There's no rule that says your tools all have to plugs on them. Or maybe there is; I'm not an electrician or an expert on building codes. But you could, functionally at least, just get a dryer cord, a junction box, some clamps and wire nuts [or terminals], then tie 'em all together with one plug. Cost about $20 and you could have everything "plugged in" at the same time.

I just wired 2 plugs to my circuit. One is full time for the air compressor. Other is extension cord for tools I have to plug in. Since most of my work revolves around my bench, I am going to install plugs so I can 'plug in' my bench, and then run any tool I want to off it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Dont even bother with the splitter cord. Just pickup some boxes, some receptacles, and some nipples and set a series of receptacles next to the dry receptacle (or spread them out with conduit wherever you want). Plug in the dry, or 100 dryers, and 10 jointers, 9 table saws, and three french hens, and go on. The breaker will protect you from running the dryer, a table saw, and a french hen at the same time. You will find that you can easily run two tools at the same time on a breaker sized for a single tool but you likely never will. You can buy all the metal boxes, nipples, receptacles, and covers, for slightly more than that pigtail you posted and youll never have to plug/unplug a single tool.

I would just buy it.
    The NEC stops at the wall. Plug in the cord.
    I'd get the 240 wired throughout the garage as soon a possible. That cord is kind of a "hokey" solution. Definitely not something for the long term.
    According to posts on the Tesla Forum, Home Depot has one for $30.00 less.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 01-07-2019 at 9:10 PM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Irish View Post
    ...Would it be cheaper to make it? ...
    Yes, cheaper. Should you make one? Do you have the time, inclination, and experience? (Possibly not since you asked the question.)

I tend to make all such things. Get a box (or two if splitting), a couple of receptacles, a plug, and some properly sized flexible cord at an electrical supply house or big box store. Wire it safely with proper insulation and strain relief. Done.

One advantage of making one is you can make one cord as long as needed for easy access. I made a 30 ft extension cord for a 50 amp circuit to power my welders and plasma cutter out away from the shop as needed to work on trailers and tractors and such.

JKJ,

I would make one. Then when the other 240 line is run you can take it apart and use the plug and outlets rather then throw it away.
    Further I would not trust something like that ,made in China, would use big enough wire. Regardless of what the label claims.
    Bill D.

Something like this? I'm not 100% clear on how to wire the male plug to two female outlets.

I would use wire nuts and pig tails. Make sure the wire nuts are listed for the 10 gauge stranded from your whip to two 10 gauge solid conductors that you would use inside the box.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles P. Wright View Post
    I would use wire nuts and pig tails. Make sure the wire nuts are listed for the 10 gauge stranded from your whip to two 10 gauge solid conductors that you would use inside the box.
    Wirenuts are unnecessary; just use a short length of wire to jump each of the terminals on the outlets together. They should be able to take two wires.

I would put a box extender on the current outlet, then come out with straight conduit and daisy-chain as many outlets as you want. If you are Ok with the height you don't even have to bend it. That removes the necessity to have the male end of the adapter.

Buying or making a splitter for a temporary situation means there will come a time when you will throw the splitter in a drawer or toss it. So you have to decide if it's worth the money to buy it for the slight convenience of being able to keep the dryer plugged in all the time. You still have to plug and unplug the rest of your tools as needed. If it's just the inconvenience of reaching behind the dryer, get a short dryer extension cord and use it until your dad can get the sub panel installed.

But maybe your dad can help you get started on the sub panel and guide you the rest of the way. That's the best option. It's not hard to do that work if you have the necessary guidance. From what you said in your original thread, you certainly need a sub panel so why not take that direction rather than the splitter, which leaves open the possibility of an overload.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain