Thread: Problem with Triton router height adjustments

Problem with Triton router height adjustments

I have had the TRA001 (3HP) router in my table for a little over a year. A few months ago, I noticed when I released the lock, the bit would drop a little. I had not removed the spring as the manual said but since doing that the problem has actually gotten worse.

If the last adjustment was downward, then no problem, but if the last adjustment was upward, when you release the lock, it drops. Sometimes by almost 1/8". Needless to say, this plays havoc trying to dial in a setting.

I've contacted Triton tech support and the reply I got was "Its the nature of the beast." I wish I had know that before I bought the router! They say the armature needs to be adjusted. I'm guessing its got something to do with runout.

Needless to say, I am not happy at all about this at all since I've got a pretty big kitchen project coming up and I'm not too confident they will be able to fix it.

Has anyone else experienced this? If so, have you come up with any fixes?

Mine has always done this. It does not move when locked in place. I only unlock when I am changing bits or adjusting height. So it is not an issue for me.

Matthew,

How can the bit dropping not be an issue?

Not sure you understand what I'm talking about.

My 2.25hp router mounted in the router table does the same thing. When the router is running the vibration makes the height adjustment slowly rotate.
    When you release the lock lever the router drops a bit. Indeed annoying sometimes. What I do after stopping the router I rotate the height adjustment until I feel resistance and then release the lock.
    Some day I'm going to do something about. Don't know what, maybe create some friction in the height adjustment.

Tim

i have just used my triton router to rabbet a bunch of plywood for shop cabinet carcasses. I had a feather board hold down and took care ( for me), and on assen=mbly noticed some differences. I was filled with personal self doubt. Thanks guys! i will look at the set up and the "locking mechanism you have referred to.

Is the bit dropping during use? Or just when releasing the lock?

I haven't used one, but I recall reading about this problem with Tritons when I was last researching routers. Like the tech guy said, unfortunately, it's a known issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Curtis View Post
    Is the bit dropping during use? Or just when releasing the lock?
    Just when releasing lock. Only if the last adjustment was up. Seems like if the prior adjustment was down the backlash is taken out.

I think Tim is on the mark.

I took the router out of the table and found out the even when locked, the height adj knob will move the router up and down about 1/8".

I'm going to see if taking up the slack with the above table fine adjustment after locking will help.

But I'm already looking at router lifts as I think this will be an ongoing issue.