Thread: Bushing for 5 mm drilling

Bushing for 5 mm drilling

Having trouble finding a bushing for a 5 mm bit- or perhaps just not using the right keywords or just not sure what size bushing to get.

I need to make a template for some repeated drilling that would place 5 mm holes around the corners of a square template, so I need only 4 bushings to place in the template. Can someone let me know what size would work without binding the bit and providing good accuracy? A source would be even better.

As a side note the size could be slightly larger or imperial if it's easier. Up to 3/8 inch. I chose 5 mm simply because I have that bit already. I see some dowel drilling guides that have a bushing and bit, but they of course only have one bushong and I need the 4.

Lee Valley sells them. Here is a link: http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/pag...at=1,180,40089 -Howard

Thank you Howard! I should have known to look there first.

Instead of a drill, why not use a plunge router with template bushing. Make a master for router that has oversized holes that you template bushing would fit into. Fasten on desired piece, and using plunge router drill holes.

McMaster has them too.

Have you considered an aux. table on drill press, with V shaped fence? Each corner of piece to be drilled would fit into fence the same way. Fifty cent solution to a $500 problem.