Thread: blotching

blotching

I recently made a small cherry side table for my sister-in -law. I let her pick a stain from a variety. Upon staining the cherry I am not happy with how grainy/blotchy it looks. I've since read about two things: Wood prep liquid (which I have some of) and grain filler. I understand how the wood prep stuff works and tried it on some sample piece....seems to help but the pieces were small. As to grain filler, is this used before staining or after? Is it even a 'cure' for blotchyness or just a way to cover grain for painting?
    Thanks as usual,
    Scott

Blog Entries
    Grain filler is generally for woods with a more open structure like oak. It fills the pores and allows a smoother finish if that is the look you are after. Cherry will look good without a filler IMHO but, if you are after a high gloss, glass-like appearance there is a whole protocol for that including fillers.

As to blotching, this is a combination of the material itself, surface preparation and the finish used. As you have learned, there are various products to help with blotch prone woods. This is an oil tinted with just a bit of color to deal with some color variation in the cherry. It is mild enough that the natural darkening of the cherry will still occur. No blotch control used. Modified phenolic varnich shop-mixed with mineral spirits and a bit of Japan Drier is the top coat.

Niki CT Dresser (157).jpg
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 01-07-2019 at 8:20 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I never stain cherry -- it's too pretty as is, and the staining process never goes well for me, but I wouldn't expect a grain filler to do much, as cherry has no open grain to speak of. Have you assessed the look after the finish is applied? It can change quite a bit. I think a first coat of thinned shellac or a wood conditioner are the usual suggestions.

Unrelated, but in another forum someone was recently complaining about the "blotchy" appearance of their kitchen cabinets-- what they actually had was stunningly nice quilted/curly cherry.

Blog Entries
    In woods with curly grain, uneven stain results is quite common. Maple is notorious for uneven stain results. You can reduce this uneveness by either sanding only to 150-180 or by using a pre-stain conditioner.

Personally I would never stain cherry. I spend a good deal of time selecting the appearance surface pieces to get the best grain pattern match. I use either a clear lacquer based finish or a tung oil type finish. Both will darken naturally and are durable.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Cherry blotches. Just the nature of the wood. And it’s worse with some boards versus other boards. Some like it, some don’t. I try to minimize it. I don’t stain cherry, either. I’ve tried pre-conditioners, but have settled on just thinned de-waxed shellace. Less than 1lb cut. A couple of coats, and then on to the final finish. Some of the blotch will become less noticable as the cherry ages/darkens.

I deal with blotch prone woods like cherry and maple by spraying Transtint dyes instead of using stain. You can get any color and tone you want w/o blotching by spraying the dye, only enough to wet the wood. With no excess liquid the thirsty areas can't draw in excess color like happens if you hand apply dye or stain. If you can't spray then you are left with pre-sealing/conditioning, neither of which has worked well enough for me to be satisfied.

John

Thanks everyone. I too don't usually stain cherry. Trying to satisfy a tone request from my sister. Should have established that first and then picked a suitable wood. Next time!
    Scott

FWIW - While I have never stained Cherry (I pretty much try to choose materials that "naturally" meet color requirements), I have used Charles Neal's Bloch Control on multiple commissions and been pleased with the results.

Scott,
    I'm unsure what type of stain you are using but I have personally had great luck thinning oil based stain with anywhere from 6-9 parts mineral spirits to 1 part stain, wipe or spray on just enough to wet the wood as described above make sure to wipe excess. Allow to dry and then apply full color coat to achieve the final tone.

-Jake