Thread: Parallel Bar Clamps - Now vs Then

Parallel Bar Clamps - Now vs Then

Up until this weekend I had a modest collection of parallel bar clamps. 2 Bessey Revo’s (31 inch) and 2 Jorgensen Cabinet Masters (24 inch). I personally was partial to the Jorgensen’s Cabinet Master design and decided to pickup a set of two more off Amazon (www.amazon.com/dp/B0742BTGYP). I was really disappointed to find out that the design was bought out (which I knew) and the current versions feature a significantly smaller acme screw. They’re basically they Irwin clamp from Home Depot now.

Then I found that Woodcraft was selling a 4 pack of ‘Bora’ parallel bar clamps for 99 bucks. 2 @ 24 inch, 2 @ 31 inch. I picked up this set on impulse. I haven’t had a chance to use them yet, but they feel like $25 dollar clamps. The head is solid, but I can’t actually see any metal. The moving head is secured by metal, but the clamping surface looks like an awful lot of plastic as well.

That leaves me to my question. What clamps should I be looking for?

Bessey Kbody - Used only? - Seems to be the original PB clamp and nobody is ever selling them.

Bessey Revo’s - ~$55 each and I’m not a huge fan of the removable face on each clamp.

NOS Jorgensen Cabinet Masters - Really difficult to figure out what’s New Old Stock vs what’s the new China design.

Jet’s - I haven’t bought any of these yet but I’m tempted to buy a 2x 24inch 2x 40inch set off Amazon (www.amazon.com/dp/B000F79022). They seems to get great reviews.

Axminister Parallel Bar Clamps - I’ve only seen these on axministers website. I can’t decide if the folding handle is a feature or a bug. (https://www.axminster.co.uk/axminste...clamp-ax945387)

Yost - Are these the Axminister Clamps in a different color? (www.amazon.com/dp/B07171C69L)

Anything else that I should be aware of? Where are people finding their best success these days? I really wish I could find somebody selling off their old K body clamps.

I switched to the new Bessey Revo 2's. They are really nice in my opinion and considerably lighter than the Pony's. The heads also don't freely slide, so no more mashed fingers! They're the first ones off my clamp rack now when I'm gluing something up.

The Jets are still my favorite. The old Cabinet Masters were my second favorite.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I have a few Bessey parallel clamps, but find that I usually use aluminum bar clamps much more often.

If I were in the market for aluminum bar clamps, I would look at Dubuque.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Heard some good words about these clamps - http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/pag...=1,43838,43844

Simon

I love the old Stanley clamps. I found them at Big Lots. Now I can't find them anywhere. Wish I had more. I actually like them better than the bessey clamps. The handle is nicer on the Stanley. I can get plenty of clamping pressure.

I have four of the Yost heavy duty parallel clamps. They are, indeed, heavy duty and work well. For me, the folding handle is a great feature.

Don't know if they still sell the medium duty ones, but I have some of those and they aren't as good. They're OK, just kinda wimpy by comparison.

I have old and new Bessys. The Jets are still my favorite. Stay away from the Irwins.

I have the 31" Bessey REVOs, the (roughly) 30" JETs and about 10 of the 18" Bessey REVO Jrs. For big stuff, I like the JETs best. For smaller projects I like the REVO Jrs.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I have both Jet and Bessey.

I'll go against the grain a bit and say to me the Bessey's are hands down better for a few reasons.

I originally acquired all the Jets through a black friday 1/2 price sale at Woodcraft.

1. The biggest difference is the screw. No question the screw on the Bessey is better. It is much much smoother. On the Jet, when you tighten down a that little extra, the screw won't move, but instead the whole clamp turns. Times when I need extra clamping pressure I have to use a pair of pump pliers.

2. The lever release is what sold me on the Jets originally, but now I find its more of a hassle than its worth.

3. The little screw on leveller foot is also an aggravation. You don't have to use it, but the clamp is designed to use that way.

4. The end cap fell out of several of them, which leaves sharp edge on the handle.

For, me future purchases will definitely be Bessey.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    I have a few Bessey parallel clamps, but find that I usually use aluminum bar clamps much more often.

If I were in the market for aluminum bar clamps, I would look at Dubuque.
    Picked up about 6 bessey's over the year and a 4 set of the Bora from Woodcraft. Half the Bessey's are last years model and others are the Revo 2. This means the head wont slam or slide down when they are placed on the end (revo 2). It's nice not have the head fly down and slam into your hand. The besseys are nice clamps but I'm not 100% sold, same for the Bora parallel clamps. I'm just doing cutting boards and things like that. Thought it would help in keeping things flat which is has but they are cumbersome to use and glue getting on the metal bar is a pain. Past wax helps but that could also impact finish on material later.

I'm going to get some dubuque clamps as mentioned. Probably just 4 or 6 for now. I was using the clamps as the surface for wood to lay on but think going back to using 3" pvc to lay out my board material and then come up from the bottom or down from the top with clamps is next plan.

I’ll 2nd AL bar clamps from Dubuque. I have bessey (non-revo) jet and Jorgensen. I recently ordered two dozen Dubuque clamps and have been happy. I think the parallels are “better” in that they have a deeper throat, flex less, and probably can apply more pressure. But for panel glue ups I’m not convinced those benefits are important. The cost is about half and they are a whole lot lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Gaskin View Post
    I’ll 2nd AL bar clamps from Dubuque. I have bessey (non-revo) jet and Jorgensen. I recently ordered two dozen Dubuque clamps and have been happy. I think the parallels are “better” in that they have a deeper throat, flex less, and probably can apply more pressure. But for panel glue ups I’m not convinced those benefits are important. The cost is about half and they are a whole lot lighter.
    +2. I have a dozen of the dubuque too. They are great tools and well worth what I paid.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post
    I have both Jet and Bessey.

I'll go against the grain a bit and say to me the Bessey's are hands down better for a few reasons.

I originally acquired all the Jets through a black friday 1/2 price sale at Woodcraft.

1. The biggest difference is the screw. No question the screw on the Bessey is better. It is much much smoother. On the Jet, when you tighten down a that little extra, the screw won't move, but instead the whole clamp turns. Times when I need extra clamping pressure I have to use a pair of pump pliers.

2. The lever release is what sold me on the Jets originally, but now I find its more of a hassle than its worth.

3. The little screw on leveller foot is also an aggravation. You don't have to use it, but the clamp is designed to use that way.

4. The end cap fell out of several of them, which leaves sharp edge on the handle.

For, me future purchases will definitely be Bessey.
    Not against the grain for me. I assume there are just some folks that can work those little Jet levers and some of us who can work the Bessey handles. There seem to be folks who like or dislike both. I find the levers pretty aggravating compared to the ease of adjusting the Bessey K-Body design so, I'm with you. I even bought some of the Groz K-body knock-offs Woodcraft sold. They are nothing like an actual Bessey K-body but, they are dimensionally the same which means things stack and space the same when using a mix of both. Conversely, I do like the larger jaw surface of the Jets for some things and am glad to have them. They just don't get used unless I need that larger jaw feature.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 01-07-2019 at 10:14 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have several of the Dubuque clamps. I like them a lot but the jaws are small so I use the Bessey quite a bit more.
    The newer Besseys may not free slide but I don’t like them near as well as the old style Bessey clamps. Way lighter so they flex much easier, they don’t slide well when you want them to.