Thread: Taking Apart and Moving a 20 inch Planer

Taking Apart and Moving a 20 inch Planer

I have another thread about a possible purchase of a low-end 20 inch planer, and the consensus is it is probably a clone of something like a Grizzly 0454.

Before I go look at it, dumb question - does a machine like this come apart simply? I have an exterior basement door it would have to get through with maximum width of 33 inches. I got a powermatic 66 through it by taking off the top, the motor, rails, - mostly a weight decision on the motor more than fitting, but it did make me think I could get more larger tools into this space by breaking them down.

Can I assume that something built to be 700+ pounds is usually designed to take apart so mere mortals can transport them and get them down stairs?

I have a 454Z, which AFAIK is identical to a 454 with the spiral head. The infeed and out feed tables come off easily with 3 bolts. The switch box on the left side unbolts and I guess you could unwire the switch to get it completely off if you need to. On the right side the height wheel comes off. I’m not sure if taking those two things off would get you below 33 inches.

Now you’d be left with the planer head, stand, gearboxes, etc. The 454 manual actually is very clear to call out that you should never let the chain under the planer box come undone. If you do, the 4 screws in each post will be out of sync and getting them back into sync without some sort of timing mark might be impossible. Basically, you would never get the head and bed of the planer co-planar again.

I don’t know if you can get the entire head assembly off. That *might* be possible, but they don’t outline it in the manual.

I think you’re going to still be left with a 400+ LBS hunk of metal after taking it apart as much as you really should.

I would think the best way would to be unbolt it from the base and turn it on it's side. Probably easier to replace the door with at least a 36" door. Or add a 16" french door.
    Bill D.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I would think the best way would to be unbolt it from the base and turn it on it's side. Probably easier to replace the door with at least a 36" door. Or add a 16" french door.
    Bill D.
    If his basement entrance is like most it would be a major undertaking to enlarge. In these parts they are usually poured concrete sides. I don't know where he is located but that's a typical exterior basement entrance in the midwest.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    If his basement entrance is like most it would be a major undertaking to enlarge. In these parts they are usually poured concrete sides. I don't know where he is located but that's a typical exterior basement entrance in the midwest.
    Redoing the door is not an option. It is at the bottom of cinder block sidewalls, and I don't actually own the house. I can take off the storm door probably, the framing of which is my narrowest problem. Maybe gain an inch? Trying to avoid that.

What I am wondering is if I take the in and outfeed tables off, can the thing fit sideways? I am confused by the "footprint" listed in the manual I found, seems smaller than i would expect.

If I can get it down to 400lbs, that should be do-able with an appliance dolly.

What is the dimension of the whole thing front to back with the feed tables off?

Of I’m not mistaken, the design of the 20” four post planer is the same as the 15”. I’ve moved my 15” a few times and each time of course remove outfeed tables, take off the belts and the starter, then unbolt the main planer casting from the base. Removing the base doesn’t do anything to the chain.

There are 4 lifting bars to pick it up. A 15” can be moved by 2 strong guys, 20” might need 4, definitely with stairs. Or, lay plywood on your stairs and it can slide down. Pick it with an engine hoist and you can do it alone.

I can measure my 20” powermatic without the tables on it, but I don’t remember it being close to the width of my door into the basement. I have 33” clear opening.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Of I’m not mistaken, the design of the 20” four post planer is the same as the 15”. I’ve moved my 15” a few times and each time of course remove outfeed tables, take off the belts and the starter, then unbolt the main planer casting from the base. Removing the base doesn’t do anything to the chain.
    Matt, You are right, there are 4 bolts which attach the planar head/screw/table assembly to the base. You could take that apart. I doubt it would make the planar smaller for a door, but it would shed at least another 100 lbs (base, motor, motor mounts, wheels, etc).

10. The manual to the Powermatic 209 specifies a dimension of 26". I would assume is possible to get through 33" door. I have seen a Powermatic 201 go down similar precast concrete stairs through a 35" door. Only had to take the dust collection hood off the top.

Reminds me how my dad and I almost lost my Powermatic pm 160 off the back of a budget box truck lift gate while lowering it down on a pallet jack. The lift gate started to struggle and my dad almost let the pallet roll off the edge until I grabbed the handle set it down. That was scary. 1,100 pounds of cast iron and steel tells you where it wants to go hahaha!