Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is this iron salvageable?

I did what Derek Cohen and George Wilson suggest here to an extremely pitted iron a couple of years back.
    The plane was my grandfather's so I was keen to get it working with the original parts.
    It is harder to push, and the chip breaker is far from the cutting edge, but it works well.

Like most of you I have a number of orphaned plane blades in the back of a drawer.
    Are they good for making scrapers? Are there other interesting uses someone has come up with for them?

Mark, if the steel is hardened, cut it square, and hollow grind it at 90 degree.

It will become your favourite cabinet (card) scraper. When it dulls, simply refresh the hollow (until you get a very fine wire).

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gibney View Post
    [edited]

Like most of you I have a number of orphaned plane blades in the back of a drawer.
    Are they good for making scrapers? Are there other interesting uses someone has come up with for them?
    Howdy Mark,

An earlier post of mine (#16 in linear view) has an image of some marking knives made from an old plane blade.

A fun project made with a rather short blade was a dowel cutter:

Dowel Cutter.jpg

The blade had too much camber for using in one of my planes. This seemed like a good way to employ the camber.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 01-08-2019 at 2:13 PM. Reason: wording
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Jim, how do you keep the blade from overheating as you cut it? Frequent dipping in cold water?

Derek, I'll have to try that. Do you put a very slight radius on the edge? And it looks like you create two working edges at one time?
    Nice looking grinder set up by the way.

Hi Mark

You can add whatever shape you want. I have a couple that are straight. Knock off the edges if you want, but I have not experienced tracks at any time. The performance is staggering!

The idea is not mine. I borrowed it from Stewmac.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gibney View Post
    Jim, how do you keep the blade from overheating as you cut it? Frequent dipping in cold water?
    [edited]
    The Dremel cutoff wheels do not get the blade that hot, but having a bit of cold water around is always a good idea.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)