Thread: Help please! Grinder safety question

Help please! Grinder safety question

Guys,
    I have a CBN wheel on a half-horse Rikon low speed grinder. Can I remove the guard that goes around most of the wheel and leave it off, without adding a lot of risk?

The backstory: I got a Tormek BGM100 (the round bar on which the jigs slide) and square tool holder for Christmas. (Derek, I'm basically trying to duplicate what you've done.) But I can't for the life of me find a way to mount it that lets me grind the full range of angles I want to use on my chisels. For example, in order to get a 15* bevel on my paring chisel, I will have to cut the guard. It is simpler and more flexible for me to simply remove that guard. But before I do, I wanted to get a second opinion. I suspect that guard helps control the shrapnel if a wheel comes apart. With CBN, that shouldn't be an issue. And I don't think sparks will be a problem.

Thoughts?

Many thanks!
    Fred

Edit: For the record, I normally keep all the guards on my machines. This one has me stymied.
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 01-06-2019 at 2:23 PM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Yes, you can remove the guard on a CBN wheel.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Fred remember that other safety rules apply with no guards on a wheel. Something on the bench vibrating into the wheel, cords, tools, jigs. Your hands if you put your foot back and slip. Exploding wheels are not the only concerns.
    Jim

A fellow on the site here hurt himself repairing his planer because his shirt got caught in the cutterhead with the covers off the machine. You have to be especially careful running machines without covers, though sometimes it is necessary.
    The speed of the grinding wheel could possibly suck a loose sleeve into it and cause injury. Just be aware of the differences with and without covers and shields, on machines, and you should be ok.

Thanks guys!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”