Thread: CarveWright Questions

CarveWright Questions

I consider myself to be a middle of the road WW'er with a pretty complete shop. Always looking for a new challenge I purchased a CarveWright machine primarily to make ornamental designs on box lids and signs. So far I've been able to figure out what I needed to do but am looking for more software images and hardware to continue to grow. To that end I've seeming run into the proprietary hardware (bits) and software image costs imposed by CarveWright.

1. Rocker is running a sale on Freund signmaking bits with 1/4 and 1/2 inch shanks. These are priced about 1/2 the cost of the proprietary bits. However, CarveWright warns against using other manufacturers. Does anyone know why and have they tried other bits?

2. The same kind of question relates to software graphics. To purchase graphics from CarveWright is very expensive. Are there other libraries out there that I can download images from that are free or lower cost?
    Wood'N'Scout

Steve, it would be hard to believe that you cannot use non-CarveWright tooling if the router/spindle has (a) standard size collet(s) and the bit(s) you are sourcing are appropriate for CNC.

As to graphics, there is a lot of materail "out there", including free for personal use. Where you you need to be careful is if you plan on selling things that utilize the graphics. At that point, you technically need to have a license for any graphic you use that permits you to use the graphic on items you will be selling. Sometimes that's free but more than often, there is a fee. A simple Google images search for graphics of any "thing", specifying vector format if you prefer will get you lots of ideas. But again, you need to be sure you understand what you are or are not permitted to do with anything you download.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Steve,

I don't think I have any of my original Carvewright bits left in use anymore, all of them have been replaced through other sources.
    I know some people buy low end no name bits, but I stuck with vendors I was familiar with.
    Watch the number of flutes and rate of twist on some of your replacements. I've had a couple replacement bits not work out so well because the flutes loaded up. I think it might have been a 4 flute that I tried.

Patterns are tough, a lot of free stuff on the Carvewright forum that may help you.
    Patterns and/or software is expensive.
    There is the STL and DXF importers available, but there is that expensive part again.
    I have most of the CW software, but it does get costly, and there is a learning curve. But that's with anything CNC, not just Carvewright.
    A lot of CW forum members have found some pretty cheap and ingenious ways to create patterns.
    It's not very active there anymore like it was years ago, but still some good info, and a few of the original long time users are still around.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Pierce View Post
    Steve,
    I have most of the CW software, but it does get costly, and there is a learning curve. But that's with anything CNC, not just Carvewright.
    The problem with the Carvewright machine and software is that the learning experience and software does not carry over to any other machine. If I decide to upgrade, I am just starting all over. The software and principles of operation are not that similar to any other machine. For example, I use a Camaster CNC router and Vectric software. If I decided to sell the machine and go over to a CNC Router Parts kit built machine, the principles of operation are identical and I could use the exact same Vectric software - no extra purchase required and no learning curve. If I upgrade from a Carvewright machine, it is starting at page one of the owner's manual.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    The problem with the Carvewright machine and software is that the learning experience and software does not carry over to any other machine. If I decide to upgrade, I am just starting all over. The software and principles of operation are not that similar to any other machine. For example, I use a Camaster CNC router and Vectric software. If I decided to sell the machine and go over to a CNC Router Parts kit built machine, the principles of operation are identical and I could use the exact same Vectric software - no extra purchase required and no learning curve. If I upgrade from a Carvewright machine, it is starting at page one of the owner's manual.
    Art, you are absolutely correct.
    Like any tool though , it is the right option for the right person.
    The modular design of the CW software does have its benefits. A lot of people run on just the basic free version and never need to upgrade, or they find ways to work around it so they don't have to spend the money. They can buy what they need when they want instead of everything up front.
    You don't need to understand chip load, the software deals with all the feeds and speeds.
    As a consumer machine it is designed to not crash, it has more fail safes to prevent operator error.
    My opinion of the CW swings back and forth somewhat.
    I have a Carvewright at home, but I work with 9 large industrial CNC routers at work.
    At home I think to myself, "If I could do this at work it would take 2 seconds"
    But at work if someone crashes a router, in a split second it can cost 5 times as much as I have invested into my entire Carverwright system, including software!

I guess my rambling point is, it's all about scale.
    How much do you really need it to do?
    No matter what, there is a learning curve, none of them are as point and click as they would lead you to believe, so how much time is a person willing to invent in learning the software?

Thanks for all the well though out replies. I've bought some router bits today and will be trying them out soon. On the software, I'm still looking at the options. I really need to do some more projects, those are the drivers that challenge me to learn.
    Wood'N'Scout

There are lots of CNC project files here in our archives.
    Who would have thunk it

Steve, one thing on the third party cutters...if the CarveWright software only offers "fixed geometry" specifications for bits, be sure that what you buy elsewhere matches the same geometry as the OEM cutters, particularly for things like v-bits. With software like Vectric's V-Carve Pro, we can alter and even "invent" bit geometry for the tool database so it's never an issue. But many of us commenting are not really familiar with any restrictions that might be in the CarveWright software in that respect...hence, my thought.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...