Thread: Delta RS 15 Shaper question.

Delta RS 15 Shaper question.

I've seen a number of these listed for sale lately. Also one that looked more or less identical but under the Rockwell brand. There is one currently listed within a days drive which is about as close as they get to me. It is 3 phase and, according to the ad, was bought new and used only in a hobby woodworking shop.

Are they good machines? Rebuildable? Decent fence? Things to look out for?

Any info is appreciated.

I think Darcy has owned some and will chime in. Some were made in Brazil but I don't know if they were made in US as well. Heavy build and I believe the fence was decent. They typically go for 2500-5000 on the used market and were usually 7.5 hp three phase. Condition is always a big deal. If lightly used that is a real plus as most of those machines were in a production setting and run hard. Motor should be good as Delta usually sourced good motors until they went overseas. Dave

I've used two in employments and I like them. The spindle lock is simple ,no cables to get loose and useless. The fence is
    okay, but I use mostly purpose made wood fences. Like many modern lawyer written things the spindle change directions
    are inadequate, but the system is good. If you buy one you can PM me for help.

They are pretty nice shapers. Not a bunch of frills, but solid machines that don't seem to bring what they should be worth. I am pretty sure they were the first step in what would become Invicta.

I do have a manual for one laying around somewhere as well.

Darcy I would guess you're correct. There are some listed right now that are advertised as Delta Invicta. I could be remembering wrong but I think I even saw one that had both Delta and Invicta stickers on it.

Machine looks to be in excellent shape, is priced appropriately, and that model does have a nice big table. I've just got to decide if I want to hassle with getting a VFD and then shoehorning it all into my shop.

Thanks for the info guys!