Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Advice On Best Adhesive To Use On Pepper Mills

Need Advice On Best Adhesive To Use On Pepper Mills

I made a pepper mill for my daughter using a CrushGrind click-in-mill mechanism and used Gorilla Super Glue to hold the mechanism in place on both the mill housing (lower portion) as well as the upper mill body that slips over the 3 fingers of the mechanism.

Before applying the super glue I lightly roughed up the raised ridges on the bottom of the mechanism as well as the contact surfaces of the 3 upper fingers.

After several months of continued use the mechanism stopped turning because the bond on the 3 fingers stopped holding.

So, before I make any more, I need advice on whether I should have used epoxy or some other type or brand of adhesive.

I appreciate your input.

Thank you

I have always used epoxy, seems to hold forever. Or at least for 10 years so far.

Thanks John.

In retrospect, I figured I should have used epoxy which I will now use in all future pepper mills.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Garafalo View Post
    I made a pepper mill for my daughter using a CrushGrind click-in-mill mechanism and used Gorilla Super Glue to hold the mechanism in place on both the mill housing (lower portion) as well as the upper mill body that slips over the 3 fingers of the mechanism.

Before applying the super glue I lightly roughed up the raised ridges on the bottom of the mechanism as well as the contact surfaces of the 3 upper fingers.

After several months of continued use the mechanism stopped turning because the bond on the 3 fingers stopped holding.

So, before I make any more, I need advice on whether I should have used epoxy or some other type or brand of adhesive.

I appreciate your input.

Thank you
    Just curious, Dom, did you make recesses for the fingers?
    Thanks, Martin
    Martin Penning
    joplin, MO

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Penning View Post
    Thanks, Martin
    If of interest to anyone, rather than cut off the clips as per the Craft Supplies instructions here I ground a scraper to reach inside and cut a groove for the fingers. Then epoxied.

JKJ

I used a tool similar to what you’re describing, John, without any type of adhesive. So far, the mechanisms are “staying put”!
    Martin Penning
    joplin, MO

Martin asked -

I made a tool to cut the recess for the click in mechanism but, up to now, have not used it other than to practice on scrap pieces to get the depth and location of the recess right. I may revisit using the recess for additional holding power.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Penning View Post
    I used a tool similar to what you’re describing, John, without any type of adhesive. So far, the mechanisms are “staying put”!
    Hmm, maybe the epoxy is overkill then!

I've only done a few for home use and gifts. We really like the crush grind mechanism.
    This set is cocobolo and dogwood.
    peppermills_two_comp.jpg

JKJ

I used expos and cut off the tips. The epoxy worked fine.
    Don

Dom, are your talking about this mechanism? https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p...Mill-Mechanism

If so I used two part epoxy also.

Yes Dave, that is the mill mechanism I'm talking about.

Well, unfortunately, I'm back again because I'm still having a problem.

After I received everyone's response back in January I put my daughter's pepper mill back together using Devcon 2 part, 2 ton epoxy and it still broke loose and stopped turning. When I took the mill apart the dried epoxy was stuck firmly to the wood but was not on the ends of the plastic fingers?

I'm not sure if I got a bad batch of epoxy, I didn't use enough epoxy or if it's something in my technique?

What I've been doing is to rough up the outer edges of the 3 plastic fingers on the mechanism that press against the inside of the upper part of the mill so the epoxy has a better chance of sticking then putting the epoxy inside the upper portion of the mill where the fingers will locate when I assemble both sections.

Does anyone have thoughts on what the problem might be? If not, I'm about ready to switch to a shaft driven pepper mill design made by another manufacturer.

I appreciate your input and suggestions.

I suggest epoxy around the base where there is more surface area. There’s a lip where the grinder sits and I put the epoxy there since I can spread it around the whole grinder. There is less surface area to epoxy using the tabs.
    Don

Dom, I used the same epoxy about 2 weeks ago, and I think I remember reading on the instructions that it did not work with all plastics.
    You had mentioned that the plastic had come lose in the pepper mill.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Garafalo View Post
    ...What I've been doing is to rough up the outer edges of the 3 plastic fingers on the mechanism that press against the inside of the upper part of the mill so the epoxy has a better chance of sticking then putting the epoxy inside the upper portion of the mill where the fingers will locate when I assemble both sections.
    I make grooves or slots in everything I epoxy, wood, metal, plastic. Even if the epoxy won't stick to the plastic if there are vertical grooves around the outside the epoxy will cure in the grooves and should prevent turning. Grooves around the circumference will keep something from pulling out. I've cut narrow grooves in plastic with a tiny circular saw blade on a Dremel. For wood I just scratch deeply with a sharp tool but epoxy always sticks to wood anyway. I haven't tried it but I'm imagining roughing the plastic surface with coarse sandpaper would not give the epoxy enough to grab.

But I don't have any experience with the kind of mechanism you are using. I use the shaft type.

JKJ