Hvent even finished the front and drawers for the miter stand I started even though I’ve used the table a ton the last 6 months. That said, I recently started a major workshop shuffle and re-layout project that involved purging a lot of tools and cabinets as well as moving the position of tools and trading stand alone for combo machines. As I’ve continued the process I’m contemplating taking the top off my router table and fitting it to the end of my small outfeed bench directly behind my table saw.

p3255309472-3.jpg

p3255309474-3.jpg

To do this I would simply fit the top so that I stand to the side on the black mat to use it. I am thinking I would then take my 30” rail set from my table saw and mount on that side of the table and use the same fence from the table saw as needed by moving it from one side to the other.

I cant easily add a left side router wing to my saw due to motor placement. And the right end of the table has my hammer A3-31 and band saw there. Combining the router table into the saw island would free up another chunk of floor space though and make my small 22x20 shop more open and usable.

The trade off is efficiency but honestly I’m purely a hobby venture with no real time frames to worry about. A switch from one tool to the other should be no more painful than switching from planer to jointer. I already have to combine outfeed table usage as assembly table and sanding table with the festool sander setup.

So, what say you? Foolish idea or worth a try? Any example pictures out there to give me inspiration? Thanks.

(PS: miter saw is new and just sitting there to calibrate and setup. Will be on stand to left of lathe when all said and done)