Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Router table question. Totally crazy idea?

Question Router table question. Totally crazy idea?

Hvent even finished the front and drawers for the miter stand I started even though I’ve used the table a ton the last 6 months. That said, I recently started a major workshop shuffle and re-layout project that involved purging a lot of tools and cabinets as well as moving the position of tools and trading stand alone for combo machines. As I’ve continued the process I’m contemplating taking the top off my router table and fitting it to the end of my small outfeed bench directly behind my table saw.

p3255309472-3.jpg

p3255309474-3.jpg

To do this I would simply fit the top so that I stand to the side on the black mat to use it. I am thinking I would then take my 30” rail set from my table saw and mount on that side of the table and use the same fence from the table saw as needed by moving it from one side to the other.

I cant easily add a left side router wing to my saw due to motor placement. And the right end of the table has my hammer A3-31 and band saw there. Combining the router table into the saw island would free up another chunk of floor space though and make my small 22x20 shop more open and usable.

The trade off is efficiency but honestly I’m purely a hobby venture with no real time frames to worry about. A switch from one tool to the other should be no more painful than switching from planer to jointer. I already have to combine outfeed table usage as assembly table and sanding table with the festool sander setup.

So, what say you? Foolish idea or worth a try? Any example pictures out there to give me inspiration? Thanks.

(PS: miter saw is new and just sitting there to calibrate and setup. Will be on stand to left of lathe when all said and done)

My thought is when making moldings, I like to rout the edge of a wide board and then cut it to width on the table saw. and repeat for as much molding as I need by leaving the saw set so all the molding are the exact same width. Unless I am missing something here that would be a problem with this set up????

Ron

Yes, in that case it would present a problem. Just like a combo jointer/planer, things would have to be done in batches. Not ideal for many but you get used to it I guess. I’m adjusting to that now with the new hammer combo J/P.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Citerone View Post
    My thought is when making moldings, I like to rout the edge of a wide board and then cut it to width on the table saw. and repeat for as much molding as I need by leaving the saw set so all the molding are the exact same width. Unless I am missing something here that would be a problem with this set up????

Ron

Not to belabor the point, but often I like the molding to be from the same piece for grain match as well as exactly the same width for mitering. Just thinking out loud here.

I say go for it. There is always a way to do what you want,just have to figure it out.

So here is a follow up question. If I switched to the Incra rail and fence system and added their router table insert, would it be practical to have the router to the right of the saw if I couldn’t stand directly in front of it? Just thinking out loud as it is another possible direction that would combine one fence system for both functions but may be hard unless I compacted down to a setup with shorter rails to the right of the saw and router to the left.

EDIT: wow...... the 52” capacity Incra setup has 92” rails. I wouldn’t have space for that. Ugh.
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 01-06-2019 at 11:56 AM.

And one more crazy thought. As I was pulling my router top apart to do some test fitting, I started to remove the old dewalt planer folding shelf and the thought hit me. Why not mount the router table to this and put a hole in the side of the cabinet so the router motor and dust box swing into the cabinet when closed. Would mean a smaller router table but I’m not running long stock making moulds or trim. I’m using it for smaller pieces. Would this put too much stress on the Jessem Mast-R-Lift II router lift when folded down?

p3255369351-3.jpg
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 01-06-2019 at 12:24 PM.

It can be a very workable solution...for best results just be thoughtful about where you position it in your outfeed surface so that you can still leverage the saw for, say...some ripping work while the router table portion is setup for another operation. "Where" can make a difference. I have that with my own "poor man's shaper" setup with my slide. The router spindle is offset far enough back from the slider wagon and saw cut line that I can still do a lot of the saw cutting that I might typically have to do without tearing down the router setup. Not all situation, but enough that it's workable.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Think I’m going for it but not sure which position yet. Doing so opens some good, needed space though. The flip up idea is prob not great as it would mean lots of transition. Looking at far side of outfeed or extension tables now. That keeps saw functional. Extension table means moving the drawer out so I’m thinking outfeed

Got the top off and will start toying with placement ideas
    p3255399687-3.jpg

Looking at the cart I thought what a waste of a good cart so let’s see if it could get repurposed. Maybe or maybe not. We will see.
    p3255398310-3.jpg

Not or sure if I’ll use it or not but I do need to square away something for the miter saw so maybe I can convert this and add a folding wing or two. Again, wasn’t the direction I was going but it’s a maybe.
    p3255398311-3.jpg

If if I don’t use it to craft a miter stand cart, it will need to go away to make the move of the router table top actually provide a space benefit. now to figure out where I want to mount the router top.
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 01-06-2019 at 1:07 PM.

UPDATE

Did a total about face somewhat. I’m going to put the router table back together and sell it without the lift. Will give someone a head start towards their own table.

Ordered an Incra TS-LS Combo 4 setup with the 52” rails, router table insert and and one of the clean sweep boxes for underneath. Will need to do a little work to make it fit but shouldn’t be much different than my current setup other than the storage cabinet moves from under the saw to under the outfeed table. May have to monkey with the J/P position a little for the fence center post thing but will see when it gets here.

Will also allow me to sell the Biesemeyer fence with 52” and 32” rails setup. Should help recoup a few more dollars towards compacting the shop footprint.

I had had been thinking about transitioning to a slider but honestly just can’t justify the $6k to $10k cost right now. Maybe one day but for now the 1972 PM66 will continue to fight on with a new fence/rail system.

only downside i see is the wait as their website says 8 to 10 weeks. Ugh.

I have have been using my router table on one of my Unisaws for decades and cannot think of an instance where I would have wanted it setup differently. The Unifence works equally well for both saw and router, and is precisely repeatable if I need to reset it.

"Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Incra told me the same lead time when I bought the TS-LS a couple of months ago, got mine in about 4 weeks.

Hope it's the same for you

Thanks guys. Hope it doesn’t take too long but I put the existing stuff back together and will use it as is for now.

Good to hear people liking the saw mounted router setups just fine.

I think the Incra setup should be nice to work with. Maybe a short learning curve but otherwise the videos make it look really nice. I do realize some don’t like the system and prefer the standard biesemeyer or unifence type setups though.

Chris, what saw is yours set up on? Any pics posted?

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    Incra told me the same lead time when I bought the TS-LS a couple of months ago, got mine in about 4 weeks.

Hope it's the same for you
    Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    I have have been using my router table on one of my Unisaws for decades and cannot think of an instance where I would have wanted it setup differently. The Unifence works equally well for both saw and router, and is precisely repeatable if I need to reset it.

Mine is a SawStop PCS 175, 36", just about to be converted to 3HP. I bought the Incra Combo 2 package.

The Incra system was easy to install and tune. I built the router dust collector box. I put a Bosch 1617 in a Jessum MasterLift II router lift, although I swapped out the router lift top plate for the Incra so I could use the Incra clean sweep inserts. They work great.

The infra system has positive alignment stops for both table saw and router use. I just undo 4 knobs, lift and rotate the fence 180 degrees and align it to the stops and clamp. Takes about 30 seconds from sawing to routing use and the LS Positioner makes accuracy repeatable even through these changes.

This is the door that goes on the front of the router box, held on by magnets

Last edited by ChrisA Edwards; 01-06-2019 at 4:49 PM.

Looks great Chris. Thanks for sharing.

I already have the incra top plate and magnalock clean sweep inserts. They do work great.

Ordered the clean sweep sweep lower box with mine but honestly could have built one too I guess. The prebuilt just seemed the easiest way to slap it together. Will have a dedicated branch with gate on the dust collector tubing for the router lower and upper collection ports so it should work as well as could be.

Other than a true workbench, the last piece of my work shop shuffle after this is a miter stand/cart. I’m still debating between the fastcap pro setup or one of the Rousseau 2875XL carts. Leaning towards the fastcap setup though.

I just finished doing doing a bunch of stuff on my dust tubing and this change will prompt a slight rework of one spot but nothing major. Last section is to extend the tubing over to my lathe and miter saw location and then I’m done and ready to rock and roll on projects instead of shop setup junk.