Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Router table question. Totally crazy idea?

Blog Entries
    My router is mounted in the left side of the out feed table on my table saw. The only problem I have encountered is when I forget to lower the router bit when cutting wide stock where the piece to the left of the blade is wide enough to hit the bit.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Can you post a link to those carts. I made this one to house my DeWalt 735 and 780, but when I bought the A3-31 i gac=ve it away with the DW735.

I'm going to make another miter saw cart, but I want to do it with folding wings on it.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    Can you post a link to those carts. I made this one to house my DeWalt 735 and 780, but when I bought the A3-31 i gac=ve it away with the DW735.

I'm going to make another miter saw cart, but I want to do it with folding wings on it.
    here you go
    http://rousseauco.com/model-2875-xl---2875.html

https://www.fastcap.com/product/best-fence

the larger Rousseau seems to be sold out and on back order most places. I’m leaning towards the fastcap setup though.

Thanks, those Fastcap wings might just be the ticket for building a compact miters station.

I bought the Kreg fence system, but the Fastcap might be a better alternative.

Happened to walk into a store with the fastcap stand on display this week. They had a Best Fence Pro 2 setup in stock in the box sitting on the pallet. I brought it home and plan to get it setup this weekend with the Makita LS1019L. Just need to decide on dust collection for it now. Not sure if I want to use something like a festool CT26 or try to pipe it into my Oneida v3000.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    Thanks, those Fastcap wings might just be the ticket for building a compact miters station.

I bought the Kreg fence system, but the Fastcap might be a better alternative.

I'm looking forward to seeing photos of that miter setup, Greg. Keep in mind that a CMS is one of the hardest tools to collect dust from that there is...simply because chips and dust fly everywhere in multiple directions. Some kind of larger hood behind it can help, but you'll still be doing manual cleanup! Nature of the beast...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Yeah, this I know. My prior battleship miter station had a built in collector with 4” hose to the Oneida and it sprayed chips all over as they bounced off everything. The fine dust was collected though as you could see the cloud go down the drain after each cut. Don’t think the Oneida will be too effective if I reduce it down to a 2” line though.

While understanding there would still be some clean up with this setup i was I was hoping to get closer to the kapex collection, but without the extra $1k the kapex would have cost. This review makes me think that it will be adequate with a festool extractor and 36mm hose. http://toolsinaction.com/makita-ls10...er-saw-review/

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I'm looking forward to seeing photos of that miter setup, Greg. Keep in mind that a CMS is one of the hardest tools to collect dust from that there is...simply because chips and dust fly everywhere in multiple directions. Some kind of larger hood behind it can help, but you'll still be doing manual cleanup! Nature of the beast...
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 01-11-2019 at 3:09 PM.

I think you can see what I ultimately did at my miter station after years of trying to make a blade guard plus under saw connection work to no avail. The drop is 5" and the pickup from the blade guard just shoots into the hood so it's picked up by the rest of the air flow. It's not pretty, but gets a higher percentage of the stuff than it lets fly elsewhere...

--

Like the space Jim. Looks great and the window is a bonus.

Got the saw mounted but need to relocate the lathe before it can fully spread its wings. Only spot in the shop with clearance is across the big door. I had almost finished my shop reshuffle before getting this miter setup but I just couldn’t stand doing everything on the table saw any longer. Needed a quicker way to break down stock.

Will probably be tomorrow before I get it though as moving this lathe is a big chore. As it sits my lathe is around 1,200 pounds with the ballast box. I have to empty the ballast box and pull the head/tail and banjo off the lathe to get it to a point I can lift it onto furniture dollies to move. Then the feet need to be releveled and box reloaded. Couple hours of work that I don’t enjoy doing. LOL

p2149046089-3.jpg

p2149046147-3.jpg

Why not just keep it mobile so you have to do less shuffling?

Honestly, while that cantilevered bench setup I have is nice (it was generally a design from a Fine Woodworking article many years ago) The massive amount of space it takes up is starting to make me reconsider removing it and going to a more portable CMS solution since I don't do any "critical" cutting at the CMS anyway. I largely just use it to break down rough stock 80% of the time. Reclaiming the space would help me gain back some flex-space that I somewhat gave up to add the CNC to my shop.
    --

Well, I want it to be ready to go when I’m ready. Limited shop time means I don’t like a lot of transition and setup. But the design of this makes it easy to pull a wing off when I need to. So it’s somewhat modular in that regard. Just not room to put it in the spot I’m moving the lathe back to as the miter saw is deeper than the lathe and the space doesn’t have room for that needed depth.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Why not just keep it mobile so you have to do less shuffling?

Honestly, while that cantilevered bench setup I have is nice (it was generally a design from a Fine Woodworking article many years ago) The massive amount of space it takes up is starting to make me reconsider removing it and going to a more portable CMS solution since I don't do any "critical" cutting at the CMS anyway. I largely just use it to break down rough stock 80% of the time. Reclaiming the space would help me gain back some flex-space that I somewhat gave up to add the CNC to my shop.

Back on topic here, the more I watch videos for the Incra saw rail system, the less I think it’s going to fit my shop. The center positioned has to extend so far off the saw that it’s going to present problems with hitting my Hammer A3-31 fence. Also started thinking about difficulties using some jigs with the right side router table, like the Leigh dovetail jig.

Anyway, I can’t put myself through another shop layout shuffle. It’s too nerve racking. Not sure what I’m going to do yet but am rethinking the Incra setup for my space and reached out to them to cancel the order while I think it through.

honestly it has me back looking at sliders with shaper/router built in. Can those units work with a Leigh dovetail router table jig?
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 01-12-2019 at 8:30 AM.