Thread: laminate using contact cement

laminate using contact cement

I've done several laminate and veneer jobs using contact cement with success. This time around I'm trying to use laminate on the surround of a shower in our small trailer: 3 sides of a 2x3 tub and seal the corners with silicone. It's a very tight space and difficult to work, and my first attempt to apply a 36"x60" piece failed (not perfect first contact and had to pull the piece to adjust, which resulted in breaking it).
    So now the wall has already been coated with contact cement and I have to wait until I buy another sheet before I cut and glue it on.
    What should I do about the wall on which I had applied contact cement? Should I try to remove it or simply apply a fresh coat to it (and the new sheet)?
    I am using this (solvent based) glue:
    https://www.richelieu.com/ca/en/cate...1416/sku-20202
    Last edited by mreza Salav; 01-05-2019 at 10:00 PM.

Blog Entries
    I believe the directions on the container will advise what to do.

You may be able to reactivate it by spraying lacquer thinner on it, but do a check first. If it really doesn't want to grab, the lacquer thinner and a putty knife should remove most of it. Make sure to have some air moving through that trailer!

I would think you'd be OK to reapply, as when dealing with a porous surface a second coat of adhesive is applied after the first coat has dried completely.
    Has the old laminate been completely removed?

There was no laminate on the surface. It's a thin (like 1/8") plywood with a very thin (thinner than a paper) cover that looks like plastic but I'm not sure. I simply couldn't trust that hack job (like everything else in the trailer) to be good for a shower.
    The laminate I tried to apply is removed completely.

Spray it down with some thinner and scrape it smooth. No need to remove the adhesive, you just want to get anything off that might cause lumps. Reapply right over the old adhesive.

Johnny has the right advice. Cheers

Great thanks.