Thread: Leopard Wood and Ebony bowls

Leopard Wood and Ebony bowls

These were Christmas presents for my sister-in-law and brother-in-law. It was my first time working with ebony. It was a fun wood to polish up.
    The larger is about 12 inches and the smaller is about 8 inches.

20181220_203221.jpg
    "Everything will be alright in the end.... If it isn't alright, then it isn't the end!"

Very nice, i'm sure your in laws were thrilled.

Very nice. I'm sure they will be appreciated.

Nice pieces. A question about the leopard wood... Can't remember, but it looks a lot like the Australian lace wood, but isn't it a lot harder/denser?

robo hippy

Reed, I know they get confused but I haven’t ever worked with lacewood. I do know this leopardwood is heavy. I had to make sure my gouge was very sharp or I would get tear out. I made some identical sized bowls out of walnut and they are much lighter than the leopardwood.

Thank you for the nice comments. And yes they were very pleased. But I shot myself in the foot because now all my other family members want one.
    "Everything will be alright in the end.... If it isn't alright, then it isn't the end!"

Those are outstanding. Any chance you have any photos of the glue up prior to turning?

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    Nice pieces. A question about the leopard wood... Can't remember, but it looks a lot like the Australian lace wood, but isn't it a lot harder/denser?

robo hippy
    The leopard wood I have has much larger ray fleck than the lacewood in my stash. However, I don't know where in the world either came from and can't verify the exact species. My lacewood is lighter in weight.

Nice pieces Scott. I love working with ebony. I rarely use any finish but just polish the wood.

JKJ

I think the leopard wood is a South American variety. The Lace Wood tends to be very splintery, and the rays are very soft so you get very 3D when you sand. I would guess, from the one piece of leopard wood I picked up that it is almost twice as heavy as lacewood...

robo hippy

Yes those do look great!!!
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kurtz View Post
    Those are outstanding. Any chance you have any photos of the glue up prior to turning?
    20181207_221650.jpg
    The only picture I have is just prior to turning the main glue up prior to gluing the ebony.