Thread: Router DC and major gloat

Router DC and major gloat

Greetings all,

First, the gloat: I just picked up a JDS multi-router, complete with stand, mobile base, pneumatic hold downs and PC 6902 router - in perfect operating condition (except for the mobile base, which I have now corrected). Hold on to your hats......I drove 1 hr. and paid all of $500. Made a couple of test cuts, then used it to rebuild the Delta wood stringer base with loose tenons at the front butt joint. Perfection!

Now my question: I want to collect dust/chips from this machine as best I can. It seems to me that the simplest way to do so will be via a shop vac collecting from above the base. I can find no attachment for the PC router that will enable this. I do have a Bosch 1617 EVS that lives in my router table, and it appears as though one can get a dust collection attachment that replaces the chip deflector on this unit. Can anyone speak to the efficiency of this gizmo? As ahead of the $ game as I already am, I can see my way clear to buying another 1617 to dedicate to the JDS, if it will do what I want it to.

Or can anyone speak to the possibility of the Oneida universal gizmo in this application?

I understand that with the bit(s) exposed beyond the vertical table of the JDS, that the whole air flow equation changes, but at $15 to $35, I figure either might be worth a shot.

Or, alternatively, can anyone recommend another fixed base router with efficient above the base collection?

JDS owners: how do you deal with collection?

Looking forward to any and all suggestions, recommendations, solutions.

Thanks,

Bruce

Nice score!

A JDS multi-router is one of those tools that fascinate me - one I'd love to have but can't see parting with the $$ to own. Sort of in the came category as a rotary hammer & a Lion Trimmer (the "real deal", not a knock off) & a Cat D9 dozer....
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Dunno if this would work, but go to hybrid pantorouter site and look at the dust collection on the pantorouter. The little circular brush head. Fits on the router. might very well work for you. I am green with envy on your amazing buy.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

I use the Bosch collector on my 1617's when doing handheld work--and to me it seems pretty effective. Dealing with the hose and the cord are not my favorite--but that would be true with anything. It's easy to put on, fits great and adapted well to the Ridgid flex hose.
    earl

Thank you for this steer, Michelle. The pantorouter video I watched previously must have been from the prototype stage - wooden machine, slotted clear flexible plastic DC shroud instead of a brush. Although I don't think their (spendy!) above the base shroud will work in my application, I note that they sell the brushes separately, and I might be able to adapt one......and use it w/ the Bosch (or other) gizmo. Maybe make a wooden donut with a groove around the outside to accommodate the wire at the top of the brush. Mount the donut to the table in a removable fashion either by drilling and tapping, or initially, at least, w/ double sided tape. Food for further thought!

Thanks for the input Earl.

I would think the oneida plastic unit might be able to allow you to get the brush on..it is not a solid ring..it is broken..you could then adjust it to your base??? just a thought. good luck. that JDS will throw chips like crazy
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe