Thread: Finish for french door

Finish for french door

Hi,

Installed a exterior french door and purchased it with the interior unfinished.
    Wood is pine and it has divided lights. it's inswing so interior side will not get direct moisture.

Pine is so soft I'm thinking perhaps a wipe/rub on finish.
    However if a film forming finish is better that's fine, I have HVLP equipment.

Surrounding trim will be maple and the room has some maple already with a typical, non stained, film finish.
    I'll test for match but does not have to be perfect. I have many transtint colors.

I don't understand why the high end windows/doors default to pine. I don't think clear pine is all that much cheaper than domestic hardwood.
    I had this door quoted in hardwood and it was almost twice as much!

Thanks

Pine without stain will show the yellowing effect of most solvent- borne finishes. Waterborne don’t yellow like that. I’d spray a waterborne lacquer like General Finishes Enduro clear poly.

I think pine is the standard for all volume window/door producers because it's stable and because they can maximize efficiency - i.e. profits. And pine is a good choice even though it's soft, because it's stable and fairly rot resistant, unlike something like maple which isn't particularly good at either.

I'm with Jamie with respect to Enduro Clear Poly. Easy to spray, durable, and won't yellow. If you want an amber tint just add a few drops of Transtint Honey Amber to it. Try some on scrap to get the tone you want.

John