Thread: Ideas for Red Oak scraps

Ideas for Red Oak scraps

I bought a pallet of drops and cutoffs from advantage lumber that was supposed to be all white oak but it has a fair amount of red oak pieces mixed in. I am using the white oak to make some end grain cutting boards but I really don't know what to do with this red oak. The pieces are at least 3/4 thick and range from 1/2 to 2 inches in width and are 2 to 3 feet in in length some shorter. Most are fairly straight but will need some work on the jointer. Just wanting to hear some ideas as to what you would do if it were you!

I would them for wood turning, small functional things like small storage boxes/trays/shelves, or in various places around the farm.

Another thing I do with scraps too small for even me - some are very thin (less than 1/8") and short but from a variety of woods including exotics like ebony, olive, and cocobolo. I save them up and give the thicker pieces to knife makers and give any size to the art teachers at the local high school. I've even filled the truck with offcuts and scraps from the milling department of a local lumber supplier - the art classes were so happy to get free materials to spark creativity! (I've done this with styrofoam, cardboard, and other materials too.)

JKJ

I have a bunch of scraps like that that I have rabbeted one edge and keep ready to use for picture frames.

If it was me, I’d probably use it for small boxes, or combined with other scraps I’ve made these small art deco clocks for gifts.

FD9C62BB-BB29-4255-B661-2FC828CC13C2.jpg

Phil, I remember this clock. I like it a lot. It looks like an award.