Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Private Messaging Access Priviliges

Unfortunately, Keith cannot worry about what goes on elsewhere...he's just actively trying to insure that funds are available to operate this forum at the level folks expect despite the massive downturn in ad revenue that SMC and pretty much every other site have been experiencing. News sites, forums, blogs...everywhere...have taken a big hit. Here at SMC, if enough folks pony up the six bucks in the current program, it will help avoid harder measures. Keith has been pretty darn transparent about that about that.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I will certainly renew my contributor status, but I do agree that the Classifieds are not useful if there isn't a critical mass of people to respond. Perhaps you could allow sending PMs (but not receiving them) for non-Contributors?

I would certainly worry that if you turn Contributor only, then the discussion would evolve into the same people talking to each other without enough diversity of questions or answers to keep it interesting.

16MM -> 44K impressions is certainly a huge drop, hopefully the new policy helps things.

Keith, thanks for all you do for us, and thanks for the annual reminder to pay my membership, otherwise I would probably forget.

I would also like to thank the moderators who provide their time to keep the place running in a friendly manner.........Regards, Rod.

Thanks for the heads up Kieth. I gave $50 and it's totally worth it for all the great ideas shared.

I also think that because of the existential nature of it, it would be totally reasonable to put the subject as a sticky in every sub forum.

Let us know what we can do to help,

B
    https://shorturl.at/mRTU3

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    I have the option to turn over our advertising to any number of companies that will manage the advertising here that are very profitable BUT I expect everyone here would complain about the visual abuse. Since I don't like this option I have never even considered taking this path.
    I have wondered why other sites I have visited for many (up to 15+) years seem to be successful without requiring members to become contributors. I suppose the quote above answers my question…

Just as a data point, I personally have not been bothered by the ads that I see on the other sites I visit, for what that’s worth. Actually I think I tune out the adds subconsciously, as they seem to be everywhere and they don’t seem to bother me for the most part.

Bill
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Private Messaging Privileges and email are now inaccessible to free-access Members.

Because the majority of our Members are now using advertisement blocking software we are being forced to adjust some access privileges. This is an effort to encourage everyone to help us maintain the necessary funding to remain online and support our costs including new hardware, software and bandwidth. Currently our costs have not increased but our income has decreased below our ability to remain at the present level of service. By updating your account to Contributor status you will continue to have full access here and your assistance is appreciated.
    Keith; can I suggest you fine tune your leadership skills, and mandate this forum site will be restricted to financial contributors only.

regards Stewie;
    Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 03-08-2019 at 3:17 AM.

Stewie,

It's Coming!

I'm just trying to give everyone the opportunity to get onboard before we make the change to a subscription based Community. I am sure that lots of people will curse me and accuse me of a whole host of terrible crimes when we make the change but I will at least be able to say that I tried to encourage everyone to help and they all knew that the change was coming. The majority here never read my posts concerning administration or ever visit the Support Forum but most of them will have noticed that they lost access to Private Messages.

Having trouble with the paypal donate thing. It's gets to the review screen, then quits.
    Any ideas?
    If I had the Northwinds email address I could sent it straight through.

Oh, and thanks for the automated Happy Birthday email!! Not that I enjoy getting older....

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clardy View Post
    Having trouble with the paypal donate thing. It's gets to the review screen, then quits.
    Any ideas?
    If I had the Northwinds email address I could sent it straight through.

Oh, and thanks for the automated Happy Birthday email!! Not that I enjoy getting older....
    Clardy, I'd suggest getting older is better than the alternative?
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Clardy, I'd suggest getting older is better than the alternative?

You have a good point Ken

Contacting us is pretty easy.

On the Donate Page there is a postal address.
    At the bottom of every page here is an email link.
    PayPal transactions are sent to sales@northwindassociates.com, note this is not an email address.

I got it done the other day. Changed computers and the donate button worked, not stalling out.

Is PayPal the only payment method for paying my donation?

Matthew

You can send a check to Northwind Associates, 8770 Little England Road, Hayes, VA 23072.

Jackie Outten

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Space View Post
    I have wondered why other sites I have visited for many (up to 15+) years seem to be successful without requiring members to become contributors. I suppose the quote above answers my question…

Just as a data point, I personally have not been bothered by the ads that I see on the other sites I visit, for what that’s worth. Actually I think I tune out the adds subconsciously, as they seem to be everywhere and they don’t seem to bother me for the most part.

Bill
    Another reason to block ads is that they can also carry malware (Look!! something for nothing!!). Ads can also cause a page to stall when the ad server (not Sawmill Creek) stalls. It's usually possible to whitelist sites individually which is what I do.