Thread: Collins Tool - Miter Spring Clamps

Collins Tool - Miter Spring Clamps

(Making this a separate thread to facilitate future searches.)

I have tried many types of corner clamp, parallel clamp, jig, etc to clamp picture frame miter joints. Nearly all of them were a pain to use, didn't get the joint square, or slipped too much. In another thread, several people recommended the Collins to me, so I ordered a set and they arrived today. LINK.

They are a bit pricey, but to me, they are worth every penny. The pliers are lightweight aluminum, but they should hold up just fine. The clamps do a great job closing and holding the miter joint tight and they are easy to use. With these clamps, it's an easy job to securely clamp the joint. They do leave a couple dimples in soft wood, but there are easy ways to address that.

Thanks again for the tip guys!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

If you think those are expensive, check out clam clamps.
    I don't even remember what happened to my Collins clamps anymore.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    If you think those are expensive, check out clam clamps.
    I don't even remember what happened to my Collins clamps anymore.
    Still need to order a few sets of the clam clamps myself.

However they can't clamp profiled outside corners like spring clamps

New England, in a town on the way to nowhere
    The Collins spring clamps are great, really handy, I have several. Another great clamp are German made Ulmia spring clamps; they come in 6 sizes and strengths. I've been using them for probably 20 years or more and wouldn't be without them on a trim job