Thread: Air Compressor issue

Air Compressor issue

I have a small Husky air compressor that now will not get up to full pressure. It will get up to around 60psi tank pressure and levels off. I noticed the oil fill cap has two vent holes in the top, and air is escaping from these vent holes. I am not much a mechanic but wonder how the oil tank can be letting air escape. I have called Husky but cannot get anyone in their tech department to call back. Is it as simple as replacing the oil fill cap?

Its likely a reed valve pump and air is getting past the reed valves. Google reed valve compressor repair for youtube videos to see if that's what yours is like.

I would guess that the air is leaking past the piston and cylinder limiting the pressure output and indicating a damaged ring or cylinder surface. Does the air continue to escape the oil filler plug vent if you shut off the compressor at 50-60 psi? If the air continues to escape for more than a few seconds there may also be a problem with the check valve and the discharge reed valve/plate. In any case, replacing the filler cap will not correct the problem. Most likely, it's time for a new air compressor especially if it's a small single cylinder unit.
    Last edited by Joe Kaufman; 01-05-2019 at 11:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kaufman View Post
    I would guess that the air is leaking past the piston and cylinder limiting the pressure output and indicating a damaged ring or cylinder surface. Does the air continue to escape the oil filler plug vent if you shut off the compressor at 50-60 psi? If the air continues to escape for more than a few seconds there may also be a problem with the check valve and the discharge reed valve/plate.
    I just checked it. It has held the 50-60 pressure overnite.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Jensen View Post
    Its likely a reed valve pump and air is getting past the reed valves. Google reed valve compressor repair for youtube videos to see if that's what yours is like.
    It is a reed valve pump.