Thread: Grandad’s boat with Hispano-Suiza V12

Blog Entries

Grandad’s boat with Hispano-Suiza V12

I finally found the image of grandad in his race boat with a V12 Hispano-Suiza engine. Nobody could beat him. He finally started letting the guy behind him take the trophy. Trophies I have of his date from 1927 to the early 1930’s. I suspect the engine is a 1927 airplane engine which had 500 hp normally aspirated. Also found images of him in his very small shop. Basically I am him in every aspect.

3C41FD31-C5C7-44FB-BFE9-BB238125FD4C.jpgC7EC6C7D-37E2-4DAE-B960-B0A058FAD3CA.jpg

Great find!
    Wikipedia has a beautiful picture of that engine. Later versions ~1936 were producing over 1000hp @ 2400 RPM. Impressive!

Hearing Protection Required!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    I finally found the image of grandad in his race boat with a V12 Hispano-Suiza engine. [snip]

3C41FD31-C5C7-44FB-BFE9-BB238125FD4C.jpg [snip]
    Grandad was one hell of a boat driver, designer, builder, mechanic and machinist. You should be proud of that indeed. As a boat name painter, however, ... .

That's so neat! Thanks for sharing.
    Fair winds and following seas,
    Jim Waldron

Those are great pics!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by James Waldron View Post
    Grandad was one hell of a boat driver, designer, builder, mechanic and machinist. You should be proud of that indeed. As a boat name painter, however, ... .

That's so neat! Thanks for sharing.

No doubt! I was a bit surprised at the sloppy lettering and can only assume it was temporary for race day and perhaps someone else did it. He was very meticulous in his work. I got a laugh at your comment. :-)

Very cool pix and story! Thanks for sharing.

The writing you see in the photo looks like handwrittian white ink on the photo and not on the boat hull. Fairly common on old B&W photos. I see only excellence here!!!

I remember as a kid going through my Grandfather old books and coming accross a manual of for a WWI Hispano Suiza aero engine. Had a huge fold out diagram of the engine. I think my Uncle Fred ended up with the book.
    Dan Carroll