Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Central PA, Where to buy wood?

Central PA, Where to buy wood?

For you folks that live in or near State College, PA, where is a good place to buy wood?

Thank you.

Can't speak for State College, but Irion Lumber in Wellsboro is about as good as it gets.

Never bought any up that way, but have occasionally seen some deals on State College Craig's List. If you have a truck or van, doing some driving is worth the hassle if it leads to quality IMO! I can't imagine a better place to live for lumber than Central PA! Good luck!

Seriously you live in one of the best places to buy domestic lumber. The Amish have mills every where Little Mule Slabs is a great place. I drive from Pittsburgh to buy from Clayton. Big Valley I think it’s called is a community of Amish that I’ve rode thru that you can’t throw a dead cat without hitting an Amish mill. You have so many choices and as mentioned Irion has world class figured woods plus so many custom sawn varieties
    sometimes it's people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one imagines. Alan Turing

it might be a bit of a drive, but Hicksville planing mill in Maryland is my spot for great quality at very low prices
    Last edited by Bill Kelleher; 01-05-2019 at 12:33 PM. Reason: spelling

If I lived near Happy Valley, I'd probably be making regular trips to Irion just to drool....seriously good stuff there, including wide-wide.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

My buddy’s kid has a sawmill and kiln there. I will send his number. His name is Clayton.

If you like quartersawn oak Sam Talarico is east of you, and of course Irion is great.

I have purchased from curlymaple.com

Am guessing an hour ish from State College?

10. Quote Originally Posted by Ed Gibbons View Post
    For you folks that live in or near State College, PA, where is a good place to buy wood?

Thank you.
    It's more than an hour drive, but Alderfer lumber in Mount Pleasant Mills has awesome stock of higher end hardwoods including exotics. Super collection of large live end slabs.

But actually if you want a couple smaller walnut slabs, 8/4 rough, under 8 feet long, I have a personal stock that I just got back from the kiln recently and might part with a couple. I'm outside Sunbury.

I live in State College. I'll post a list of suppliers later this evening.

From my house in Happy Valley, here are estimated travel times to some hardwood sources. I have bought regularly from Peachy and Lewis Lumber. I have visited Alderfer and Irion, but not the Hardwood Mall or G&G.

Peachey Hardwood Flooring 45 minutes

Alderfer Lumber 1 hour 27 minutes

Lewis Lumber Products 1 hour 31 minutes

Irion Lumber 1 hour 42 minutes

The Hardwood Mall 2 hours 5 minutes

Groff & Groff Lumber 2 hours 38 minutes

For cabinet grade plywood, try Industrial Plywood in Lewistown.

Lewis Lumber has very good selection of domestic and exotic. Although their stock of mahogany does not seem to be as good as it used to be. Could be supply has declined in past few years or just getting there at the wrong times. Have not gotten out to Irion Lumber yet. Sounds like they may have better selection of mahogany and woods for period furniture.

Thanks for the info.

Two more to add to Jay's list - if you are willing to drive 2 hours:

Hearne Hardwoods, Oxford PA

and my personal favorite:

Horizon Wood Products, Kersey PA (Ask for Pete). I buy a good deal from this company over email. Pete's wonderful about sending pictures so you know what you're getting. For domestic hardwoods (especially walnut and curly cherry), I rarely look elsewhere. Not worth the shipping if you're only buying a piece or two. If you want fantastic wood at a FAIR price, then he's the guy. He's never sent me something that wasn't as advertised.