Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help me select a cyclone (for the millionth time!)

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    I took the advice from Clearvue, I consider them the experts. No offense.
    You bought yourself a excellent stock item and you’ve been given good manufactured advice.

I built my cyclone from scratch and I needed to amp starve it by putting it on a 6 inch main, I could’ve put it on a 7 inch but the price for 7 inch main amplified everything a little too high. (I also could’ve put it on 8 inch main, same situation) but… I would have to be mindful of how many gates I had open to prevent over amperage.

Most people don’t realize when you clog a vacuum or close all the ports on a dust collector/vacuum pump is at its happiest with amperage draw. They think the louder noise means the motor is working harder. This is actually reversed. When the motor is spinning doing no work, it is happiest. And loudest.

What I found is you really want to keep your main trunk (if it is 6 inches) under 12’ long.

My maximum intake is 40 in.³ or 38 in.³ if I used a 7 inch main.

I discovered at 40 in.³ with my blower fan I really needed to have a 7 1/2 hp motor. Instead of going backwards I restricted the main trunk to 6 inches with a Y adaptor. This kept me at 21 A when I added 2 x 6x 10 foot lengths to the Y, this reduced my amperage to 19.5 A. Yeah there was a little bit of static pressure.

Typically you want your main trunk airspeed at 60 miles an hour or 27 m/s to keep the main trunk clean some build up.

If you choke you’re main too much you will starve CFM unless you have a high-pressure blower.

I pretty much have the same system as you, but I have a 17 1/4 inch blower that weights about quarter of the weight. My blower does not have the weight or inertia. When I turn off the DC the blower stoppes spinning in about 15 seconds.

If I had to do it all over again I would not change a thing being a one-man shop. If I was a two or three men shop, I would’ve definitely run a 7 inch main.

Some guys buy their machines and plug them in. I like to amp test to their FLA.

The last Clearview I tested with a 16 inch blower, with no collection attached, only had 16A draw. This was on a 23 FLA Lesson Motor.

I would like to see the manufacture specs when you get the unit. For the rest of us, I would like you to try and test the FLA on the motor with a clamp on metre.

When you’re done… If you’re so compelled (for an extra 20 hours of work) build a fan curve chart for your situation. Sure you can use a hot wire or just a regular fan speed meter...Or $0.25 diy water column metre.
    Last edited by Matt Mattingley; 01-12-2019 at 2:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Mattingley View Post
    Some guys buy their machines and plug them in. I like to amp test to their FLA.
    \

I have never sold a single phase Clearvue so that problem does not occur. I don't know why anyone would buy a single phase unit if they could run a VFD from their single phase supply or had access to 3 phase. Even when that is possible we always install a VFD, I did one a few weeks ago with a 3 phase supply into the VFD.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parks View Post
    \

I have never sold a single phase Clearvue so that problem does not occur. I don't know why anyone would buy a single phase unit if they could run a VFD from their single phase supply or had access to 3 phase. Even when that is possible we always install a VFD, I did one a few weeks ago with a 3 phase supply into the VFD.
    Cool. Can you provide the manufacturing FLA(or your own with a clamp on metre)with full open intake,no ducting (of corse, filters and Collection bin installed)? I think we would all benefit from your help. 3 Phase is cool,but it isn’t for everyone. Converting it takes time and patience if on single phase.
    Last edited by Matt Mattingley; 01-12-2019 at 3:04 AM.

Unfortunately not as I have not got access to a motor or a clamp. The VFD gives so much control.....unlimited starts, variable speed if needed, soft start never exceeding 16 amps and then only momentarily, the cyclone does not try and jump off the wall during starts and can be braked to a stop if desired. All this on 220V 3 phase, what is not to like?

I am not commercially involved with Clearvue and all my comments are my own and not Clearvue's policy in any way.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening