Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me select a cyclone (for the millionth time!)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Curtis View Post
    I got the Clear Vue MAX. It was cheaper at the time to not get the bundle and purchase the same parts by themselves. I then had a coupon for 10% off i think. Currently on clear Vue's Facebook page is a 5% off code. CVCFAN
    Matthew, what size duct work did you use with the Max?

2. You didn't say if you'll be running more than one machine at a time. If you will, that will have an impact on your choice of DC. Another thing to consider is the current draw of the motor, and your electric bill. A system with a 5hp motor will draw about 50% more current than a 3hp motor. With those things in mind, I set up my system as follows: my shop is about 900 sq ft. I only run one machine at a time. My house has no attic so all of my HVAC ducting is in the basement. That made it a challenge for some of my duct runs; a couple of them have a number of turns in them. My system is an Oneida V3000 that I ducted with 6" PVC. Some of my machines are not as big as yours; 12" planer and 6" jointer. I am very pleased the the performance of the Oneida; it is more than adequate for my needs.

I’ll only be running one machine at a time, should have mentioned that. Max run would be 20’ (not including drops).

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bartley View Post
    Matthew, what size duct work did you use with the Max?
    8" main with 6" drops. My main is about 20' long. Drops are about 4'

I just ordered a CV1800 and upgraded to the 16” impeller. I’ll only use one machine at a time with 6” PVC ducting.

It’ll be a couple months before I get it installed but I wanted to take advantage of the New Years sale that Cathy thankfully extended for me since I asked about it last Saturday.

Thanks for the advice all.

I have the GO441, and i think you made the right call. If I were buying new, i would go with Oneida or CV. I would lean Oneida, just because i dont want to caulk and assemble the CV. I bought my grizzly partially assembled, but never used, about 4ish years ago for less than half of new. At the time, I couldnt have afforded anything close to the cost of a new CV/oneida along with ductwork. The grizzly cyclone design is actually pretty decent. They included similar features to the Pentz design with the neutral vane and whatever the incoming ramp design is called. Even though its only 3hp, it spins a decent sized impeller(14.25" maybe?) and produces good numbers. So airflow is pretty good for a one man shop, separation is probably decent, and my price was great. However, over years of use, the cyclone body near the inlet leaks, the blower housing leaks, and the connection to the filter stack leaks. All these points have a telltale deposit of fine walnut powder. It just feels like I imagine a grizzly feels like. The specs are nice, the price is nice, but its missing the polish. Considering its $1500+ new, i just dont know why you would save a couple hundred bucks to go with it. It was jim or someone else that kinda nailed it that you cant really cut corners with this stuff. The quality filter media is $$$, and you need the whole system to be airtight. I feel like the grizzly is watertight. Still, great price for me, and with clean filters the thing really moves air. I have overhead hoods and multiple ports on all my saws and my shaper, and im getting 95%+ of all visible particles at the source. I dont have a particle counter, but it keeps my space really clean. I rely on the ambient filter with expensive wynn filters to do the rest.

As to power consumption, does anyone really use much power? I think my energy bill is around $45-50 each month(keep in my im paying above market rates for wind/solar production), and thats with me working a fair amount on the weekends. Even when i had a month off before starting a new job and worked in my shop like it was my full time job on commissions, i think my electric bill only jumped to $90ish that month. That was working legit 8+ hour days 5-6 days a week too. My DC is my only machine with a 3hp motor, everything else is 5-5.5hp.

A bit of rambling there Patrick, but sounds like you support my decision. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    A bit of rambling there Patrick, but sounds like you support my decision. Thanks

You dont have a sander, so i dont think your decision needed that much thought. However, never a bad thing to have more machine that you can grow into.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the input. I didn’t notice that there weren’t many budget type cyclones around my price point and the CV stood out.

If I were to bump my budget up a bit, what would be the next step up recommendation? The CVMAX?
    There have been some CV1800's sold with the Max impeller in Australia so it might be a mid point on budget and performance.

Edit, I see you have already done that, you will be impressed. Use 7" ducting if you can, it gives a worth while lift in flow.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

The cv1800 has a 6” take off so i’m Planning on going with 6” SDR-35 and bringing that as close to the machine as possible.

You don't need a 16" fan for 6", to use the 16" you need a bigger main duct and then the 16" will support multiple 6" ducts open at the same time.
    Chris

I took the advice from Clearvue, I consider them the experts. No offense.

No offence taken, I was the Australian agent for Clearvue.
    Chris

Ha, that’s kind of funny. I was in between a cv1800 and CVMAX, so upgrading the blower on the cv1800 felt like a good compromise.

I may be the only person in the world who had a bad experience but I think Oneida's service is terrible. I called them and asked for advice on what to buy to adapt the SDD to my existing system. I was very specific and provided more than enough details. They sold me parts that didn't fit their own equipment. I could have gotten the exact same off-the-shelf items I bought from them (which didn't work properly) from Home Depot for half the price. If I am going to have to use a half roll of duct tape anyway just to make the stuff work, what do I need them for? I am just glad I only spent hundreds of dollars with them instead of thousands.