Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colonial Williamsburg

Blog Entries

Colonial Williamsburg

I just ran across A Roy Underhill book, The Woodwright's Eclectic Workshop in my library.
    I attended a conference there one year and Roy was there. He was entergetic and entertaning.

The only reason for posting this is to tell you about it.
    https://www.colonialwilliamsburg.com...AaAgR_EALw_wcB

If you have the opportunity to go, I highly recommend it. It was a memorable experience.

Was down that way, back in the summer of 1970....

Here is a better link to conference materials. Download brochure.

The conference is January 17 to 21.

http://www.cvent.com/events/working-...f84909c78.aspx

WW in the 18th Century is a great conference. I only missed the first year and have been to every one since. I'll be there again this year.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

I'm looking forward to seeing Dave, Warren, and anyone else who's coming to the conference.
    "For me, chairs and chairmaking are a means to an end. My real goal is to spend my days in a quiet, dustless shop doing hand work on an object that is beautiful, useful and fun to make." --Peter Galbert

I'll be there! I plan to heckle the presenters, though. Sorry Steve!
    Mark Maleski

It's funny. When I went to school at William and Mary, I had very little interest in the colonial period, architecture or otherwise. Now, it's what I do for a living, and read everything I can get my hands on about colonial Virginia life. I bought 154 books off ebay alone last year.

There is a very good little book you can get off ebay, for a few dollars with free shipping about the reconstruction of CW. If you have any interest at all in CW, it's a few bucks well spent. copy and paste this in the search window on ebay. It's a very nice small hardback book. I have given a number of them as gifts.

Williamsburg Before and After: The Rebirth of Virginia's Colonial Capital

edited to add: Sorry, I may have bought up most of the cheap copies. I just checked, and there are only three copies at less than 10 bucks.

Last edited by Tom M King; 01-05-2019 at 3:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Maleski View Post
    I'll be there! I plan to heckle the presenters, though. Sorry Steve!
    We know how to handle guys like you.
    "For me, chairs and chairmaking are a means to an end. My real goal is to spend my days in a quiet, dustless shop doing hand work on an object that is beautiful, useful and fun to make." --Peter Galbert

They now have cabinet making,with my last old apprentice building spinets in one area of the shop. Added is a joiner's shop as well as the long established out door carpenters using period tools,most of which I guess I made. Saws and planes.

Yup. My son (3rd grade) got to play one of the spinnets in the shop when we visited last year.

Matt

The area is an archive of early American history. There is something to see every few miles. A person could spend a month there and not see much of it. I've been many times, not to the conference, but to Williamsburg and the area. Great place to visit for those that haven't been there. If I was still able to travel I would gladly make another trip.
    Jim

Adding to my list of destinations for a family get-away. Not too far from Raleigh!

Steven, Take the ferry on your way. Put Jamestown Ferry, Surry, Va. in your GPS. It will be not only shorter from Raleigh, but more fun. Check the ferry schedule online to plan your departure time.
    http://www.virginiadot.org/travel/ferry-jamestown.asp

Blog Entries
    If you guys get a chance, use some of Steve's planes...they are sublime!
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Tom, thank you for the tip! I wouldn't have known otherwise, will definitely go that way rather than looping around through Richmond. My kids love riding ferries too.

By the way I recently visited Old Salem here in NC for the first time, the joiners shop there was marvelous, I didn't want to leave. Is the shop is Williamsburg similar?