Thread: Is this a good deal?

Is this a good deal?

Apologies if I’m posting this in the wrong section. Ive been trying to find a decent first jointer for my shop but I don’t have a whole lot of experience with them. This Delta I found on Craigslist looks solid (at least in the photo) but I’m not sure if it’s worth it.

'https://cleveland.craigslist.org/hvo/d/westlake-delta-6-floor-jointer/6780800204.html
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 01-04-2019 at 6:41 PM. Reason: Links to auction craigslist not allowed by TOS

Blog Entries
    Unless it is in pristine condition, which you can't tell from the really poor photo, It is over priced. You should go look at it and make sure it runs, check the operation of all knobs, levers and adjustments. Listen to noise when it runs. I would guess it might be worth $100-150 if it just needs cleaning and lubrication.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

3. Personally, a jointer isn't a tool I want to upgrade later. They're difficult to move, not cheap, require time to setup correctly. I would recommend going as wide as you can afford and fit in your shop. I don't think this is particularly inexpensive for the machine it is -- if you aren't in a rush, you could probably find a nice 8" model for not much more, maybe $500 - 600.

Quote Originally Posted by Clay McElwee View Post
    Apologies if I’m posting this in the wrong section. Ive been trying to find a decent first jointer for my shop but I don’t have a whole lot of experience with them. This Delta I found on Craigslist looks solid (at least in the photo) but I’m not sure if it’s worth it.

'https://cleveland.craigslist.org/hvo/d/westlake-delta-6-floor-jointer/6780800204.html

No. Even for a 6" jointer that one is built way to light. Jointers see a lot of force at times and I'd personally be afraid of tipping that one over during use.
    There is another of that same jointer, also listed on the Cleveland Craigslist for $275.00, for comparison,and it looks in much better shape. I expanded the search area 150 miles from zip code 44101.

Here is an 8" Wallace for $450.00!! Also on the Cleveland Craigslist, or within 150 miles of zip code 44101. It's says Toledo. This one has some "beef" to it. This is "Vintage Iron" with a skewed blades. Definitely worth a look, and if it runs properly a definite consideration.

'https://toledo.craigslist.org/tls/d/northwood-wallace-8-inch-long-bed/6773974646.html
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 01-04-2019 at 8:48 PM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I'd aim to get at least an 8". One reason you see 6" jointers for sale is that the seller is upgrading.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 01-04-2019 at 7:55 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

You can buy a new Grizzly 6" for $599
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

From what I can see, I feel it may be overpriced. For the most part, 6" jointers seem quite readily available at somewhat cheap prices on Facebook Marketplace / Craigslist, at least from my search for a jointer last May.

For comparison, about eight months ago I found my 3hp 8" Grizzly G0490 Parallelogram Bed Jointer in Pataskala in great condition for $750 (new is $1,419 delivered). A big thing I've found in buying 'used' is to be quite diligent in your search (checking frequently and wide-spread) and jumping on it quickly. Many of the best items can be gone quite quickly and both the jointer and a Grizzly Dust Collector I found online ended up in my shop the same day the ad was posted. Patience is also important and a great deal doesn't always exist in earlier searches, but they do pop up.

- Jointer.jpg

Thank you for all the feedback you guys. I’m glad I didn’t get jumpy and buy that thing. I have two prospects that I’m considering now.

'https://columbus.craigslist.org/tls/d/columbus-10-inch-inca-planer-jointer/6795109165.html

'https://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/tls/d/allen-park-delta-rockwell-8-jointer/6792205345.html
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 01-19-2019 at 12:11 AM. Reason: direct links to craigslist not allowed

I like the Delta Rockwell in Detroit. Not that Inca isn't nice, but the longer tables of the Delta/Rockwell make it more functional in my opinion.
    That being said though, the combination jointer/planer by Inca is tempting also. If you don't already have a planer, it would bear strong consideration.

As for the price:
    I believe the Delta/Rockwell to be about right, maybe a little high, but a part of that price is the "Vintage Iron" appeal, and that it's 8" wide. It's not likely that you'll see a machine like that very often, especially in "ready to work" condition.

The Inca seems like a fair deal to me. Having a Jointer and Planer in one machine has some definite appeal, and it does seem to be in good shape, with some nice accessories.
    I've never used an Inca, nor seen one in person, but I do like the dual functionality. Hopefully someone that has used one, or owns one can comment.

I think either would suit, depending on a persons individual needs.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 01-18-2019 at 7:27 AM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Glad you passed on the first one.

I just moved from the Cleveland area and there is a lot of nice used machinery around there. Especially if you are willing to drive for it. The fact that you listed Detroit tells me you you will be able to find just about anything you want.

If I were you I’d take my time and figure out exactly what you want and stay vigilant on the used for sale sites, like CL, OfferUp, etc.

That pot belly 8” jointer looks nice, and there is a groupie like following of the Inca machines. But it depends what you want. If you have a very small shop the Inca is perfect. If you have a big shop, maybe you decide to go bigger and find a 12” jointer. And what kinds of projects do you plan to make? Wide slab tables, or small boxes? That all affects your choice.

That Delta is a beautiful machine. Brings back memories for me,I sold one like it except for the cast base. Great jointer. Inca stuff is very well regarded as well,I have never owned anything they made,so no personal experience. Do you need a planer as well ? Art's advice about how he buys used is spot on. I do the same thing,watch daily and pounce when you find the "one". Remember that if you buy used ,it is far easier to erase "mistakes" buy reselling stuff and moving on.Good luck,Mike.

Off & on over the past few years i've seen some cabinet saws (Unisaw and PM 66) on the popular auction site listed by what looks to be an industrial salvage company in the Cleveland area. Might be worth checking the "bay" for jointers and sorting results by distance. If nothing pops up that way, try cabinet saw or PM 66 and see if that might lead to something in the way of a jointer. I will say that the saws i've seen from that seller looked used and the buy it now prices were not what i'd have paid--and i wasn't willing to make on offer on one 5 hours away and be obligated to buy it...had i been within an hour i'd have contacted them to take a look though.
    earl

If it’s in Cleveland that was likely HGR. Worth the trip to check it out - picture a couple football fields of all kinds of industrial parts and machines.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    If it’s in Cleveland that was likely HGR. Worth the trip to check it out - picture a couple football fields of all kinds of industrial parts and machines.
    Matt--that name rings a bell. Will be a great side trip next time i take my wife to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. Her resistance will be softened!!
    earl