Thread: Help me decide what to make with wood I have

Help me decide what to make with wood I have

All,

I have two table leaves that were made by my great-grandfather over 100 yrs ago. They have been sitting in my storage room upstairs for the better part of 4 years now, and have traveled across the country with me for the better part of the last 10. The table is somewhere long gone now, but I wish I could just use them with the table. However, since I can't I want to do something with them. When I got them from mom, I wasn't really into woodworking, but now that I am, I would like to re-purpose them in some way. Each leaf looks to be oak, a 3 board glue up, about 12 inches in width, 6 foot long and nearly an inch thick. They are in such great shape that I wouldn't have to thickness them at all. I would just have to strip the finish off. Of the 12" width, a little of that on each edge is taken up with the leaf pins, but that's only at 3 or 4 places along the length.

I could just re-purpose them as shelves, but that seems kind of cheesy. I was wondering if anyone would like to suggest something?

Thanks,
    Kevin

I think a box, or boxes, would be fitting. They always come to mind regarding sentimentality in woodworking. If it’s an inch thick, you could resaw to 3/8” and make some nice delicate mitered boxes. Or you could just hang on to it and use it here and there.

I have the cutoffs from when my Dad built his live edge walnut countertops in the mid 70s. He’s gone now so that wood, while it’s not actually that nice, is my most valued stock. I use it sparingly: miter keys for boxes, inlay strip on an ash picture frame, etc. Anything with that wood is typically gifted to a family member.

Cheesy shelves for family memoirs. Or something along that line if not shelves.

Blog Entries
    A small book case would be nice or a small end table would be nice.

You said you would really like to use them with the long gone table...build the table. A project with your great grandfather,that would be sweet.I will one day inherit a handsaw that my father got from his grandfather,he taught me how to cut with it (my Dad). I wish I had more of those 'heritage' tools. Whatever you do make it meaningful and keep it in the family. Mike.

I would glue the two together then cut it to a half oval or ellipse for a hall table. It is about the right size for a coffee table too. You make the base out of other Oak.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    You said you would really like to use them with the long gone table...build the table.
    +1 This is the best idea I think........ Good one Mike!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    Whatever you do make it meaningful and keep it in the family. Mike.
    This part speaks to me, maybe a bunch of board games such as cribbage or manacala that you can give out at your favorite gathering.
    Last edited by Randy Viellenave; 01-04-2019 at 9:34 PM. Reason: typo

Blog Entries
    A one-board table or two? The legs may require glue-ups but, that's doable.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

behind the couch table.
    Bil lD

Thanks all for the suggestions...I am leaving tomorrow on vacation and will re-evaluate when I return. I like the idea of a hall or coffee table. However, the best idea would be to build a table around them. That would totally kick a$$.

On another note...to one poster...I have my other great grandfathers Disston D8 that I use regularly. I “learned” how to saw with that saw...and by learning how to saw, I really mean I used to use it to cut all kinds of $hit. I took it from my dad a couple years back when he wasn’t looking and cleaned it up, sharpened it, and use it frequently. It is a xcut saw and he had a D8 thumbhole tip that nobody in the family can find. He was a carpenter by trade...