Thread: Jet JWBS-14 Bandsaw Rebuild

Jet JWBS-14 Bandsaw Rebuild

I recently tore down and rebuilt a Jet JWBS 14 band saw. I had the band saw in may garage for a while and did some minor work to it but recently decided to do a complete overhaul since I needed to take it apart to move into my basement shop. I replaced the main drive shaft with a used but good one that I purchased on e-bay. I also replaced the bearings and the drive wheel. Has anyone else every rebuilt one of these drives? I came across a stumbling block putting this back together. When I install the new bearing on the shaft and in the housing, which is a huge pain, I discovered that the shaft shoulder was longer than the housing space between the bearing bores. his would allow the assembly to float back and fourth in the bore. I ended up damaging a set of bearing before I realized this. After some very challenging measurements I ended up needing to install a 0.050" shim on the bearing with the deepest bore. I also used bearing retaining compound since the bores were not very tight. I think this may have contributed to the drive wheel and shaft becoming worn. Has anyone else noticed this on there machines? I have to fix the tension rod and then I can run the machine again. I do have some pointers for anyone looking to rebuild there machine that may help them avoid the issues I cam across.

Kyle, I do not have any input for you on this, but I have the same machine. I don't believe I need a full rebuild, but I'm going to tweak it to enhance performance. I'll be watching your progress with interest. Best of luck. You might want to download an Ittura Design catalog. Calling it a catalog doesn't really describe what it is. It's a document with parts for sale, but with lots of useful information about 14 inch imported band saws. It might be of use to you. You might also consider calling Louis Iturra with your question. I suspect he could give you some useful feedback. Good luck, and please keep us posted!

I've never worked on Jet bandsaw, but both the 14" and 10" Delta bandsaws I've worked on have a spring washer between the bearing and the casting (on the pulley end of the shaft) which allows things to expand and contract with temperature changes. Without the spring washer the shaft could move forward and back a bit. Is it possible that your Jet bandsaw needs a spring washer rather than a shim?

--Geoff

I looked through the parts manual several times and it never showed a spring washer in that location. There wasn't one in there when I took it apart either. I do not think it had been taken apart prior to me acquiring it.

How did the replacement shaft compare to the shaft you took out? Was it longer between where the bearings sit?

I have a larger band saw that I put together forgetting to reinstall the finger spring washers and I had slop, where the wheels could be shifted back-and-forth a bit. I ordered replacement finger spring washers from McMaster Carr and that solved the problem. As mentioned above put them on the drive pully side, on the inside of the bearing.
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

Both shafts measured the same and were within a couple of thousandths. I am using high quality machinists calipers and depth gauges to measure everything. I had not thought of spring washers as nothing was originally installed. The bandsaw is for home use so I don't see it generating a lot heat were it would need to expand that much but I would not be a bad idea for a spring washer if I ever had to redo this.

When cutting wood, the force should push the shaft/bearings against the casting and back and forth movement should stop until you are finished cutting, I suppose, but don't know if this would be the case in all cutting scenarios.

I was getting a thumping sound which I thought might be being caused by the wheels shifting back and forth when idling without cutting.

Unfortunately adding the spring washers did not fix the issue. I think I may have got a bad bearing when I ordered four replacements. It is an old saw and takes an unusual bearing. Had the thump not been there I may have never noticed that the wheels had some back and forth play when pulled and pushed.

I am with you. It is a pain to pull the bearings off, considering the care that needs to be taken when removing them, when you are going to press the same ones back on.

Run the saw and see how it goes. That is what I would do too in your case.
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

Blog Entries
    Is one of the wheels malformed? Check this site,

https://www.ereplacementparts.com/je...caAjSBEALw_wcB