Thread: Figured Ash Platter

Figured Ash Platter

Figured Ash Platter

This is a piece of kiln dried figured Ash. It was prone to chip out turning in the normal direction, so I ended up going to the backside of my lathe and reversing the rotation in order to help with that problem.
    Some finesse work with my Thompson scraper which I put a negative rake grind on helped along with some very light shear scraping with my gouge allow me to get it right. It is 13.5" diameter, with an ogee shaped bottom.

Pics taken with my iphone.

IMG_Ash1232.jpg IMG_ash234.jpg
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Very nice, Roger.

3. Very attractive. What kind of finish is on it?

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weingarden View Post
    Very attractive. What kind of finish is on it?
    Popped the grain with danish oil, then when dry, two coats of WOP.

5. Thanks Roger

Very nice. Looks like you have been busy lately.
    Don

Very nice piece Roger. Good idea on the reverse turning on the backside to eliminate the chip out, The only other comment I have is it would have been nice if you could have centered the grain. I know sometimes, because of the turning stock it is not possible. Would have made the turning a 5 star in my book.

Nice piece Roger!!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Doerr View Post
    Very nice piece Roger. Good idea on the reverse turning on the backside to eliminate the chip out, The only other comment I have is it would have been nice if you could have centered the grain. I know sometimes, because of the turning stock it is not possible. Would have made the turning a 5 star in my book.
    This came from a rough cut kiln dried 12/4 board. Cutting choices and centering grain were decided by the sawmill before I came into this piece of lumber.....of course unless I wanted to make just a 5” saucer, not a platter.

Beautiful piece Roger
    Ash platters are timeless

11. Quote Originally Posted by John Hart View Post
    Beautiful piece Roger
    Ash platters are timeless
    Holy cow! John, its great to hear from you! It’s been a while....a long while! I’ve often wondered how you are doing. Thanks for posting on this thread, and for the compliment. I hope you are still spinning wood from time to time....if so post a piece once in a while. SMC needs some of us old timers to show up on occasion!

Hey there Roger...yup, still spinning whenever I can get the chance. Things just get in the way spending time on the internet. Hope to spend more time now though posting and not just reading