Thread: Dinning room table - wood and design suggestions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Dinning room table - wood and design suggestions

Hi all,

I am looking to start my first dinning room table shortly.
    Im not looking to break the bank on wood costs. I wold love to make a walnut or cherry top. But that is going to be to expensive.

Was wondering what your guy's suggestions are on cheap wood for a dinning room table? And also some design ideas/pictures for tables you have built. Looking for a somewhat simple design as I just have a basic hobby shop.

I can get hickory for 3$ b/f but I just built a coffee table with it and it was a pain to work with as it kept chipping in my jointer. No other wood has done that in my jointer for some reason.

Thanks,
    Nick

Agree on the hickory with respect to workability. Results definitely depend on having sharp tools, complicated by the fact that bit dulls them pretty quick.

I Iike ash, which should be in the same ballpark price wise. It's durable, and it's easy to work and finish.

I would search CL for 'rough lumber' or 'cherry lumber' or such. You should be able to find something much cheaper than retail. There are several mills in Ohio and lots of individuals doing milling (especially if you go south). Just be careful of moisture content.

I do like ash. It is creeping up in price tho.

Early on I used Alder (was in the NW). It was cheap, and very easy to work with. But was a bit 'soft' for hard use. I wouldnt let that stop you though, because before long you wont like the table you built and will want to build a new/better one...

I found some old pine that I used. Its mills nicely, and its old, so seems (so far) to be very stable. Was a craigslist find.

i am about 25% done with my build. Will be gluing up the top this weekend.

Since you like Cherry I recommend Alder. It’s very close to looking like Cherry. Also know as Poor mans Cherry
    Keep your blades sharp and set accurate in your jointer. Resist the temptation to run dirty wood for test cuts.
    Good luck
    Last edited by Andrew Hughes; 01-04-2019 at 12:20 PM.
    Aj

My brother made one from walnut we cut ourselves. The top is two floating panels of granite with a small marble one in the middle with wooden surrounds. These were C'list finds cut to fit about one inch thick. I think the actual top is heavy plywood with supports under each seam. Stone just sits on the ply and is not glued in any way. Stone will be removed and packed separate for moving in a truck.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    Since you like Cherry I recommend Alder. It’s very close to looking like Cherry. Also know as Poor mans Cherry
    Keep your blades sharp and set accurate in your jointer. Resist the temptation to run dirty wood for test cuts.
    Good luck
    Alder is more $$ on the east coast than cherry.

Really cheap use poplar

Less cheap soft maple

Character grade white oak is really cheap, but I've only seen it in 4/4.
    sapele in 8/4 is relatively cheap (for 8/4)

How much/ bdft are you looking to spend?

Nick, PM me and i’ll send you my list of suppliers. I lived on the east side for 7 years and just moved a couple weeks ago.

I like April Wilkerson's dining room table design. The base is of soft wood and painted, the top is walnut - looks like #1 common. You should be able to google up a youtube. Jay Bates has plans on his website.

Another design I like is in my old Woodsmith magazine files. It has a plywood top edged by solid wood to disguise the fact that it's plywood. It also has breadboard ends that slide out so you can put a leave in. I'm not sure I like their base, I think April's is more attractive, but the top idea is interesting. Some WoodSmith magazine old issues are available on line.

I have the tools to make a solid wood top but a plywood top is an interesting idea.