Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squirmy Glueups

Squirmy Glueups

Need tips to keep glueups from squirming during clamping

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    Need tips to keep glueups from squirming during clamping
    Some sort of mechanical connector inside the glue up, or some sort of clamping mechanism on the outside opposite to your glue line.

I have been using dowels lately. I bought the Jessem Dowel Jig, its pretty precise and holds the wood just fine. I sill use clamps on the outside.

slow down, and dont bite of more than you can do on your glue ups too.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 01-04-2019 at 9:41 AM. Reason: fixed quote tagging

Agree with Jim.

I use a few Domino's inside my panel glue ups.

Takes almost no additional time and makes alignment a snap.

Even a single dowel can solve that issue as can a tiny headless nail between two pieces. That said, having all the clamps in place and very gradually adjusting each just a little in sequence can also help with keeping things from moving. No using "too much" glue also helps. It's a dance...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Not overdoing the amount of glue and use biscuits or dominos/similar. A good quality biscuit joiner is great for alignment purposes. A second hand Lamello will be a great addition and I use mine more than my domino.

I just glued up a tabletop yesterday and used dowels to keep it all aligned and square. I used a self centering dowel jig. Easy peezy.

If you don't want to use a mechanical means to stop the squirm, fine sand, non-slip compounds (for adding to paint) or table salt do a good job and don't reduce the glue's strength below the strength of the wood.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    If you don't want to use a mechanical means to stop the squirm, fine sand, non-slip compounds (for adding to paint) or table salt do a good job and don't reduce the glue's strength below the strength of the wood.
    That's interesting

I read in the tips thread recently that using a light sprinkle of fine sand will prevent the squirming.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I've used salt to good effect.

Nick Ferry discussed some options in a March Youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Il5vFKGv3Uc&t=4s

I wouldn't use sand unless I wasn't planning on machining anything

Never found it a issue. Just take your time and don’t panic that everything is gonna setup on you. Well unless it’s july 100% and your project is backing in sun shinning through the window.

Otherwise only laminate as many boards as you can at one time to not rush. Also if your stock is perfect before lamination I find it very easy to align piece to piece. Just do a test clamp up first. Start as one end working left to right or right to left. This is gonna show you any problem areas and exactly how to resolve them before any glue is involved. This way you don’t have to panic and figure out the solution on the fly.

I used to struggle with glue ups till I just slowed down and found a system. This system always includes a dry fit test run.

I mostly use Titebond II glue. I keep a salt shaker in my shop for lunch use, but also to help take the squirm out of glue=ups. It doesn't take much, usually only one shake.

You will also discover when gluing large flat surfaces together, that there is a point when the majority of the excess glue has been squeezed out, that much of the squirm goes away and you can do a final positioning and then further tighten the clamps without the pieces going out of alignment.

Charley

I used to use tiny brads with heads nipped off after driving in, keeps boards from moving. Finally quit that years ago, now i just slide the two boards back and forth to ensure glue spread, get boards exactly where I want them, wait about 10 minutes (depending on wood type and temp) for tack to start, then carefully clamp them. Make sure your clamps pull together at 90 degrees and not at a slight angle (that will want to slide the boards). This has worked fine for me for many years. Randy