Thread: oak flooring as source of "hobby" wood?

oak flooring as source of "hobby" wood?

A local guy has a box of unused oak tongue & groove boards for flooring at a super cheap price-per-board-foot for oak (about $8 for 20 sq feet of 3/4 inch). I'm not at all interested in it for flooring, but only as an inexpensive source of hardwood for small projects using hand tools. The "finished side", the "micro-bevel," and the "tongue and groove" are irrelevant to me and would likely just get cut away. I'm a bit familiar with oak's general characteristics for planing, chiseling, sawing, etc, but is there something I maybe need to understand about oak that is specifically employed in flooring? Maybe I should snag this deal? maybe I should spend the $8 on a pint instead? I'm eager to be educated! Thanks.

Blog Entries
    First of all, it's probably red oak so that would have me turn it down. Then by the time you mill off the micro-bevel, finish, and the grooves on the back, you've got boards that are less than 1/2" thick, short & narrow. And if you don't have carbide cutters, the factory finish will destroy your knives in short order. So you'd be paying close to a buck a BF for some very marginally useful, less than desirable wood. And then you'll really need to spend the $8 on a pint.

I've been down this road with trying to use up some leftover unfinished white oak flooring & it just was not worth the all the trouble. Sorry to be such a downer.

I have a bunch of unfinished Bubinga flooring left over from our kitchen. I keep telling myself I'm going to do something with it, but after 10 years about all I've done is make shop jigs and fixtures with it.
    I also have some left over pre-finished Brazilian Ebony flooring that is hard as rock, without the finish. I haven't done anything with that either.

I'm not saying you can;t use it, just that you'll be doing a lot of extra work to make it usable.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I have used it to make an outdoor swing... various jigs... small boxes.... planter boxes... etc...

Thanks, guys. I think I'll buy that pint! I'm not broke, after all, just cheap....

Quote Originally Posted by Clarke Davis View Post
    I think I'll buy that pint!
    Probably a good choice.

I've used wood like that & pallet wood for projects before, But as others have pointed out it takes a lot more work to get usable pieces.

I've had good luck looking through the free section of C/L !
    Found some nice old longleaf pine that was listed as free firewood.

Doug
    Attached Images Attached Images

I used a good bit of red oak flooring to build furniture for my family. Once I cut off the tongue and groove, planed off the bottom, I was left with stock that was just shy of 5/8". It worked for me and the furniture looks great. It's not "fine furniture" by no means, but it is nice and my family likes it.
    Personally, if it's a great deal, I wouldn't pass it up. Makes a great "utility wood" in my shop also.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

I have a small stock of oak flooring like that which a general contractor friend gave me awhile ago. I've used it for general utility after milling it to remove the grooved backsides...leaving nominal .5" material to play with. I'm not a fan of flat sawn oak grain in general, so I don't do much with it for things like furniture, but it's been good for small projects.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I was doing some shop cleanup this weekend. Had a pile of oak flooring that have had for some time (years) - it was free. At the time I thought for sure I would use it, but as others have noted it never was worth the hassle when the time came to build something.

Decided I wanted the space instead, and cut it up to use as fire starting material in the woodstove...

So I am in the camp of buying that pint...

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Beckett View Post
    I was doing some shop cleanup this weekend. Had a pile of oak flooring that have had for some time (years) - it was free. At the time I thought for sure I would use it, but as others have noted it never was worth the hassle when the time came to build something.

Decided I wanted the space instead, and cut it up to use as fire starting material in the woodstove...

So I am in the camp of buying that pint...
    I have been doing the exact same thing this week. Getting rid of all the shorts and offcuts I've saved through the years. I haven't burned the leftover flooring just yet.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

It makes good zero clearance inserts.

Thanks for all the advice. An $8 pint is going to be a pretty good pint. I'm sure I'll enjoy it!

Thin material shouldn't be that much of a drawback. Oak glues well leaving full 1" or 1-1/4" or thicker after gluing up. It could make nice table legs or aprons or for fixtures or jigs. Plus, it's dry and should be pretty defect free. I would think it would make fine "hobby" wood if you don't mind the little bit of extra effort to get it clean and usable.

Quote Originally Posted by Clarke Davis View Post
    Thanks for all the advice. An $8 pint is going to be a pretty good pint. I'm sure I'll enjoy it!
    8 bucks? I'd get both. On the way back, stop for that pint. I can think of several uses for any kind of hardwood of that dimension. Yeah, will take some work, but personally I wouldn't let 8 bucks of that much wood go by. I think I have 8 bucks in change in my truck's ashtray.