Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What 2002 Ford Ranger battery to buy

Blog Entries

What 2002 Ford Ranger battery to buy

The battery went dead in my 2002 Ranger. It's an XLT ext cab 4.0 motor 4x4 automatic transmission.

Could I get some opinions on the best battery for the money.
    I am not interested in the new $200-s300 non lead acid types. Far too expensive for me to be comfortable paying this soon since they went into service.

Thank you.

I have been buying my batteries from Rural King they sell Exide and I am very happy with them. The one in my tractor was one I bought for my F350 and I needed the tractor as I was working on the truck and then replaced the truck battery with a new one. I think that battery is 8 years old now and still cranks my Diesel tractor that is hard to start in the winter.

Blog Entries
    Wish we had a Rural King.
    Got a Farm&Fleet.
    Perhaps I'll contact them.

There are only a few battery makers in the USA they just slap different labels on them. I think Johnson Controls is the biggest.
    Bill D.

Blog Entries
    Settled on a walmart lead-acid for $120.
    590cca.

I have never had luck with Walmart batteries the last 4 only last 2 years for me.

Just replaced my battery in my 2004 Mazda B3000. Went to a local parts supply where I have a good relationship and got a Delco. It works, which is all I care about with car batteries.
    My local Costco didn't carry them - would have been cheaper.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Blog Entries
    I go to my local Ford dealer for my service including batteries. I've had no issues with their service.

I hate going to the dealer as they up charge so much of there stuff. Why pay $150 for the same battery you can get for $75

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I go to my local Ford dealer for my service including batteries. I've had no issues with their service.
    Actually, I recently had a very pleasant experience at a Ford dealership.
    It was where my wife bought her 09 Fusion. A couple of years after buying it one wheel began leaking just enough air that the light would come on about once every 3 or 4 weeks. Our mechanic tried to find the problem but could not.
    The leak drew slowly worse over the years so we decided to replace the wheel fearing it had a porosity defect.
    When I ordered the $400 or so wheel, they suggested that they take a look at the old one first. At this point they knew they had my money for a new wheel, but when they dismounted the tire they cleaned the wheel, remounted and balanced it.
    Problem solved.
    Total cost $8.50.
    Now that's an honest dealership.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    I hate going to the dealer as they up charge so much of there stuff. Why pay $150 for the same battery you can get for $75
    The last 3 sets of tires I bought were cheapest at my Honda dealership. I needed another set of aluminum wheels for the summer tires & again, the Honda dealership was the best price, online or otherwise. The labor rates there are higher than independent shops, but they do good work & I've never had to tighten a screw or lube a hinge since I bought the car 6 years ago. And full synthetic oil changes are free for as long as I own the car.

Because it's a place I can trust & has reasonable pricing, I don't have to do any of that stuff myself. I used to do all my own mechanical work & grew to hate it. I'd much rather be making sawdust.

[QUOTE=Jerome Stanek;2883693]I have never had luck with Walmart batteries the last 4 only last 2 years for me.[/QUOTEWas in Walmart yesterday, looking for a lawn tractor battery. Their 230 CCa battery is $21.99, while others want $35- $45 for same type battery. All of them only carry a 6 months warranty. As for auto batteries, all of Walmarts, except cheapest carry a FREE 3 year replacement warranty, plus 2 year pro rated after that. As for manufacturers, you have Exide, East Penn Manufacturing, LNB, and Johnson Controls. The lead processing requirements have put most of the "mom and pop" battery companies out of business.

[QUOTE=Bruce Wrenn;2886295]
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    I have never had luck with Walmart batteries the last 4 only last 2 years for me.[/QUOTEWas in Walmart yesterday, looking for a lawn tractor battery. Their 230 CCa battery is $21.99, while others want $35- $45 for same type battery. All of them only carry a 6 months warranty. As for auto batteries, all of Walmarts, except cheapest carry a FREE 3 year replacement warranty, plus 2 year pro rated after that. As for manufacturers, you have Exide, East Penn Manufacturing, LNB, and Johnson Controls. The lead processing requirements have put most of the "mom and pop" battery companies out of business.
    When My batteries failed they were just 25 months old and there was no warranty on them just past the 2 year limit. The ones I get from Rural King have lasted more then 3 years and the one in my tractor that is the same size as my F350 is at least 8 years old and still going strong. 4 batteries from Walmart and not one lasted longer then 3 years

Years back I bought a pair of Johnson control batteries to put in my JD combine. They worked perfectly for over 10 years, and were only 5 year batteries.

I've had 2 Rangers, and replaced the batteries in both of them. A 1997 2wd and presently a 2010 4wd. Both are/were 4.0l
    The auto parts guides say a smaller then OEM size. Pull a large one out and stick in a smaller one. I don't go for that.
    I went to Autozone and the computer showed the small one. I bought the larger batteries, same price. Just make sure the terminals are right. + - or - +

The same thing with my wifes's Taurus. Listings show a small one, even though the car is stuffed with electronics. I bought the larger one.
    If the tray will fit the larger battery, get it.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night