Thread: Replacing Grizzly cyclone Filters

Replacing Grizzly cyclone Filters

I have a Grizzly GO441 3hp cyclone that is probably 4ish years old at this point. I have cleaned the filters once or twice a year for the life, and im assuming they are nearing the end of their life expectancy. A few of those early years were filled with a lot of drum sanding that did a number on the filter, im sure. Looking at Grizzly's options, i can maybe retrofit a filter for $260ish, or buy the entire filter assembly for $450. Naturally, i looked at Wynn as well, and Dick suggested i build a custom box with the flanged filters. Im not wild about homemade solutions, but i have used wynn filters in the past, and i can bet they are higher quality than grizzly's OEM filters. Grizzly doesnt list the MERV rating of their filters, but looking at the stats, i think they are about a MERV 12-13. Wynn's are 15. Frankly, i can guarantee my system is airtight, so i dont know that 12 vs 15 makes a huge difference. My main question is about surface area. Dick told me to consider two of the 13F250 filters. This would be 460sqft of filter media for $440 without shipping. This is great, but Grizzly ships their units with 113 square feet of filter surface area. I know more is usually better, but i also think i read somewhere Grizzly designed the system to have the filter limit the amp draw on the 3hp motor, because It is a little undersized for the impeller. That may be true, or may not, but if one of the wynn filters is 230sqft, and im currently using 113sqft, why would i want/need to go to 460sqft? I want to do it right, but if i can save $225+ on an extra filter i dont need, then i would like to. Has anyone retrofitted a grizzly with the wynn filters?

How do the Wynn filters get 4 times the surface area? Are they 4x as long or 4x the diameter?

I’m assuming the pleats are deeper than the grizzly. The filter itself much be slightly larger too, I haven’t actually measured them to compare yet. Also, to clarify, the 460 sqft number was with TWO Wynn filters recommended by Wynn. In an apples to apples, their one filter has 230sqft to the one grizzly filter that has 113 sqft.