Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Oh no, my cell phone is missing

Blog Entries
    My truck is a 1994, my wife's car is a 2001.

We do not have cell phones. When we did most of our calls were to find each other when we were shopping in a big store. Now we do it the old fashion way and get a little exercise.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Most cars don't have those systems and won't ever get them. Only cars newer than late 2014 have systems that are compatible and it is still an option on many models.
    I know that. I meant new cars and cars from the last couple years. I just bought a new suv and every one I looked at had it. It’s pretty much expected. The Ford Fiesta, their cheapest car comes with Waze and some kind of Sync feature that can use some phone apps.

I can use google maps though CarPlay thankfully. I have to go the phone function on the car and select the google map icon.

Last May, my wife and I were returning from a vacation in Northern Michigan when I noticed my phone was missing. We used the Find-my-phone feature on her phone to locate mine at an establishment we had been at. (Both phones were iPhone 7 thru AT&T on the same billing plan.) Called the establishment and they said no one had turned it in. We reversed our direction and drove 45 miles back to retrieve it. The feature put me within 15 feet of the phone.
    "Don't worry. They couldn't possibly hit us from that dist...."

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    And that $20/month you have been paying for 2 years...
    That's $240 invested to replace a $500 phone Wade.
    This time, buying the insurance was a worthwhile gamble. This time.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Lisowski View Post
    Not all apps work with CarPlay. I have it in my car and can't use Waze, and apple maps in my area stinks. It seems to always put me in the wrong locale.
    WAYZ works with CarPlay now with iOS 12. Same for Google Maps.
    -----

Lee is also correct that most vehicles do not have CarPlay/AndroidAuto today. The latest models coming off the line do, but most that are on the road do not.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    That's $240 invested to replace a $500 phone Wade.
    This time, buying the insurance was a worthwhile gamble. This time.
    Unless you're careful with math and then it's: 2 * 12 * $20 = $480

(plus the transfer / transaction fee.)

I just dock my android in that cassette looking thingy in my truck. Horrible connection though.

Quote Originally Posted by David Bassett View Post
    Unless you're careful with math and then it's: 2 * 12 * $20 = $480

(plus the transfer / transaction fee.)
    Oh geez. You're sure right David. I seem to be having a "stupid week" across the board. Sorry Wade!
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 01-04-2019 at 1:45 PM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

You should take the time to enjoy life without the cyber binky. For most they are a ball and chain. The grandson was on his cell phone the minute we sat down for Thanksgiving dinner. I politely asked if he wanted to join us. It won't be long before the tele-marketers will ruin this like they have the land lines.
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Glenn View Post
    You should take the time to enjoy life without the cyber binky. For most they are a ball and chain. The grandson was on his cell phone the minute we sat down for Thanksgiving dinner. I politely asked if he wanted to join us. It won't be long before the tele-marketers will ruin this like they have the land lines.
    Good job Glenn on the grandson. SWMBO was less diplomatic with her adult daughter. The question to ask with most tech stuff is who is managing who? If necessary there is still a way to power them down.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Glenn View Post
    You should take the time to enjoy life without the cyber binky. For most they are a ball and chain. The grandson was on his cell phone the minute we sat down for Thanksgiving dinner. I politely asked if he wanted to join us. It won't be long before the tele-marketers will ruin this like they have the land lines
    My guess would be that for most this is a traumatic event.
    Can you recall every single piece of the puzzle you are?
    We toss all of our intimate and financial data at our phones and then to realize that somewon out there has free access to that data.

Could it be him? Or her? Or them?

I suspect that for many such an incident would not be that all unlike having discovered that someone has been in your home.
    Even worse. Direct access to your finances.
    There are brilliant minds out there with fat intent.

It seems unthinkable not to have at least a basic cell phone; for emergency use : ie: while traveling, out on a walk, etc.

Blog Entries
    My wife has one and we have a house phone line. It did not ring.
    I went to Verizon and with with my insurance bought a new one for $20.
    They will deliver it to my house tomorrow.

Verizon charges a maximum of $13 a month for covering a single phone so not quite as bad as $20 per month.

Blog Entries
    To be clear, the cost of the insurance was $12 per month, The $20 us a one time fee.
    I am satisfied. The cost of a new phone out right would be much more.