Thread: It's air compressor time

Question It's air compressor time

After 25 years, my Campbell-Hausfeld 2HP 6-gallon compressor is about to bite the dust. I'm hearing a "knocking and squealing" sound every time it runs for more than 30 seconds.

I don't need a large compressor. In 25 years, 99% of the time I've used this one only to keep the vehicle tires inflated or to use the blower attachment for some quick "cleaning". I keep seeing all kinds of recommendations for California Air Tools compressors, and I'd thought of ordering one. That is, until I came across this compressor at Home Depot:

Husky 4.5 Gal. Portable Electric-Powered Silent Air Compressor

Max Pressure = 175 PSI
    4.0 SCFM @ 40 PSI
    3.0 SCFM @ 90 PSI
    Noise Level less than 65dBA
    3-Year Limited Warranty

The specs look good. In fact, they look as good if not better than the CAT-4610 model. The price at $199 is comparable, and the warranty on the Husky is 3 years as opposed to 1 year on the CAT model.

Anybody have experience with the Husky, or a general opinion before I pull the trigger on it?

Quote Originally Posted by Art Moore View Post
    After 25 years, my Campbell-Hausfeld 2HP 6-gallon compressor is about to bite the dust. I'm hearing a "knocking and squealing" sound every time it runs for more than 30 seconds.

I don't need a large compressor. In 25 years, 99% of the time I've used this one only to keep the vehicle tires inflated or to use the blower attachment for some quick "cleaning". I keep seeing all kinds of recommendations for California Air Tools compressors, and I'd thought of ordering one. That is, until I came across this compressor at Home Depot:

Max Pressure = 175 PSI
    4.0 SCFM @ 40 PSI
    3.0 SCFM @ 90 PSI
    3-Year Limited Warranty

The specs look good. In fact, they look as good if not better than the CAT-4610 model. The price at $199 is comparable, and the warranty on the Husky is 3 years as opposed to 1 year on the CAT model.

Anybody have experience with the Husky, or a general opinion before I pull the trigger on it?
    I don't have any experience with the Husky compressor you linked to but it appears similar to the Kobalt Quiet compressor I purchased last year. Its very quiet (rated at 60 dBA), takes up very little space and fills all of my needs. Most times I don't even know its running. If Lowe's or Home Depot has one on display ask if they can plug it in for you. They both have a generous return policy should you decide it doesn't meet your needs, so I say give it a try.

The Husky shows $149 at 5 nearby stores subject to stock on hand and all show at least 1 on hand, Anaheim-Fullerton CA. Was considering this compressor for $169 last month but settled for a CAT 4710SQ through Walmart on-line for $99. The CAT is definitely quiet, about the same dB as quoted for the Husky.

Blog Entries
    I have the Dewalt compressor and I'm completely happy with it.

If it's an oil less compressor, my money goes on the bearing in the big end of the connecting rod

Quote Originally Posted by Damon McLaughlin View Post
    I don't have any experience with the Husky compressor you linked to but it appears similar to the Kobalt Quiet compressor I purchased last year. Its very quiet (rated at 60 dBA), takes up very little space and fills all of my needs. Most times I don't even know its running. If Lowe's or Home Depot has one on display ask if they can plug it in for you. They both have a generous return policy should you decide it doesn't meet your needs, so I say give it a try.

+1 on Kobalt Quiet Tech. I purchased this compressor from Lowes this past summer. Very happy with it. I assume the HD version is very similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Moore View Post

Max Pressure = 175 PSI
    4.0 SCFM @ 40 PSI
    3.0 SCFM @ 90 PSI
    3-Year Limited Warranty

Loose belt? it will start slipping as the load rises with pressure.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

I've got a similar version of that compressor:https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-4-...041H/206492568

I'm very happy with it!

Thanks for all the responses. I'd looked at the 4 gallon Husky, but wanted to try the quiet series to cut down on the noise in my shop. I just got the compressor delivered on Monday, and think I'm going to like it.

I just bought a California Air Tools quiet 5 gallon model from Amazon for about $160 a few weeks ago. I looooove it so far, my previous Kobalt was too damn loud.
    This CAT model has an aluminum tank too, cost a few bucks more than the steel but it's very humid here in summers.