Thread: Amazing BLM Color & Character

Amazing BLM Color & Character

I scored a truckload of Gorgeous Big Leaf Maple and went to work roughing out some bowls. These two are 15-16” diameter. Now I will stretch my patience waiting for them to dry so I can do the final turning. I always wonder what got into these trees to produce such beauty!!

169EA9EA-9D07-43A3-93DD-9BDFA28E1CF0.jpg763DBC82-8069-420B-9628-E6279B7DE320.jpg19ACFD8D-5FE5-4B4A-A865-94D461E40348.jpg

2. What a score, Mike! That will make some fine looking bowls. Look forward to seeing the finished pieces!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

That is really cool, Mike! It's like some holly got in with a number of other woods and created a thing of beauty. I can only imagine what it will look like with a finish on it.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

in a word mike probably bugs or fungus

Based on some of those lines in the growth rings, I'd wager it was a lightning strike tree. You may see some separation in those lines as it dries. A lightning strike has considerable weakness due to the sap vaporizing from the sudden heat. I've seen some trees explode. How do you keep all that "stuff" balanced on top of the headstock? Looks like an avalanche zone!

Nice score!! I can see what looks like chatoyance all ready in there. They will be spectacular when finished.

Looks like white rot fungus.
    Bill

Any photos of the finished products?

According to my source at UBC this appears to mimic Compartlization of Decay in Trees (CODIT) I posted some photos of similar looking Red Maple.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .