Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: In search of a project idea...

Going to pause for a few days.....Mom passed away this morning.....I have a Funeral to get ready for....and a cold to get healed up from...

Steve, I am saddened hearing about your mother’s death. I am glad you had your mother for much of your life. I love mothers and had a great one too. I was an adult when she died and felt she had prepared me to meet the challenges of life. Take care of yourself, you have had some health problems recently. I will look forward to seeing your activity on the forum in the future.
    Last edited by Mark Rainey; 01-15-2019 at 12:16 PM.

Mom was 87. We lost Dad back in 2011. Now, they are back together.
    Can't just sit and mope....have to carry on.
    So...picked some hinges..
    IMG_7368 (640x480).jpg
    A 1/4" x 24" x 48" plywood panel, and a Poplar Project board. Poplar to replace the thin ash strips...had to trim to fit..
    IMG_7358 (640x480).jpg
    A wide place for drawers to sit.
    IMG_7365 (640x480).jpg
    Ends to fit a stopped dado
    IMG_7364 (640x480).jpg
    Have both ends done....even did a full dry fit...
    IMG_7366 (640x480).jpg
    May try a glue up, later today....going to take a lot of clamps..
    IMG_7367 (640x480).jpg
    Anyone want to stop in and help out? More than welcome to...

Forgot to post about grooves.....Pencil grooves.
    put away.jpg
    Dug out this old router table.
    IMG_7345 (640x480).jpg
    Set it up with my homemade guide/fence, and a small cove bit. Aim was a safe way to mill two grooves, to hold pencils in..Stanley 45 has the right sized cutter, yet. Didn't want to freehand the router, without any way for the edge guide to be used. Took longer to set up, than actually use.
    first 2.jpg
    First two....
    2 more.jpg
    Second two. Also chopped a couple dados
    chopped out.jpgdry fit 2.jpg
    Then adapted these for the Poplar thins, and chopped slot into the other side's locations. Hardest part is getting the thins the right length..
    Tried to resaw the drawer parts...brand new 1/2" wide blade....didn't go very well.....will set up the tablesaw instead....and use the leftovers from that Poplar board...
    Last edited by steven c newman; 01-16-2019 at 10:59 AM.

Traded out the Ash thin boards for Poplar....have all the mortises done....drawer shelf has been notched to fit.

Dry fit?
    IMG_7366 (640x480).jpg
    More of a way to make sure everything fits....drawer shelf needs a small trim on and end...laying out clamps, to make sure they are close to what I need...
    IMG_7367 (640x480).jpg
    May need a few cauls, too. As soon as I get a spot cleared off...
    IMG_7376 (640x480).jpg
    And set aside those big c clamps....the cussing will begin.....looking to glue this up, and let it set, overnight. Need a small glue brush,,,lots of nooks and crannies to get into...
    Bring your own ear plugs....may get a bit "loud" down there...

Yep, it got a bit loud....bench was cleared, except for a few clamps...
    pile of clamps.jpg
    And needed every one of these....old saying...IF a hammer doesn't work, get a bigger one....had to coax a couple pieces into the spots....
    bottom view.jpg
    Mainly the parts for the pencil holders...Used a few cauls, to keep the clamps off the pins...pressure was onto the tails...
    cauls.jpg
    I trimmed the drawer shelf a bit...still wasn't enough...dividers between the drawers should be able to rid it of any bow..
    bowed shelf.jpg
    Will let this mess sit overnight...and see how it looks in the morning....
    Stay tuned

Getting a LATE start, today.....Tomorrow is not going to be a "Shop Day".....closed for Funeral.

May run the router around, after I change to a rebbetting bit.....maybe cut the plywood to size, as well....will see what other tasks I can get done....

Stay tuned....

Well, got 2 hours in...then Mr Gumption left the building....got the rebate milled
    IMG_7381 (640x459).jpg
    Plywood installed..
    IMG_7382 (640x420).jpg
    Nails and glue...not too worried about around the edges...
    IMG_7383 (640x451).jpg
    As this will cover the joint. Came out of the clamps without any issues...sanded everything smooth..
    IMG_7384 (640x480).jpg
    Pencil holders?
    IMG_7385 (640x480).jpg
    Crosscut one plank, trying to see about the top..
    IMG_7387 (640x480).jpg
    Meh....see what the other half looks like..
    IMG_7388 (640x480).jpg
    Need to joint the edges a bit..
    IMG_7389 (640x480).jpg
    Intend to run the other board through a few rip cuts..
    More on that in a minute..stay tuned

Thinking this will do for a few bread board edges..
    IMG_7390 (640x480).jpg
    Rip down the middle, then trim back the curvy edges...

Last plank was hauled to the shop...cross cut for length...about 30" long..
    IMG_7393 (640x480).jpg
    Flipped and flopped these two, until the grain about matched. Big "X" to mark how they go together....No.6c to joint both edges at once. Glue and clamps..and cauls
    IMG_7394 (640x480).jpg
    Let this sit for a while....might be Saturday, before I get back to the shop.
    Laid out a scrap block and a bevel gauge, and getting ready to "deduce" a few angles..
    IMG_7395 (640x480).jpg
    Fun part will be...when I attach the case to the table.....screws come up from underneath, and into the bottom edges of the sides.
    Jointed the board for the top..
    IMG_7392 (640x480).jpg
    No. 6c was a bit busy today...
    Doubt IF I get back to the shop before Saturday....stay tuned

Funeral this morning...don't really feel like doing shop time....Will see how Saturday goes....weather-wise, it might just be a decent day to stay in the shop...

Stay tuned....

Sorry about your mother-my condolences.
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

Thanks..

While researching about bread boards...stumbled upon Underhill doing the Tool Chest from Bristol's lid.....might be worth the effort to try?

Need to change into some work clothes, and get busy....weather outside will keep me inside all day...might as well do a wee bit in the shop....

Sorry about your Mom Steven. Hard thing to loose your Mom. Lost my Mom in ‘87 it seems I remember her for some reason every day.
    Jim

Using shop time to cope....

4 hours today....wasn't one of the better days....quit when I ran out of Mountain Dew in the shop, and had to leave for the little boys room....besides, I was starting to throw things across the shop...not a good sign.....
    Traced a line around the desk unit, after I got as centered as I could,,,,then removed the unit, drilled a few pilot holes...
    pilot hole.jpg
    Hopefully I drilled where I could get to the holes from underneath...half were good...half were hidden by the corner blocks...tried to clamp the unit in place....fought the clamp...found a 3 x 3 to help out
    clamping block.jpg
    Drove screws where I could, had to go back and carefully drill a few new holes...fun part was getting this thing to where I could do the work.
    set up.jpg
    Dang legs were getting in the way...when done, finally...I set this back on it's own 4 feet...and noticed the Poplar back of the pencil tray had split.. Cut a square block for the clamp helper, added a bit of glue, and clamp things in place...
    fixed.jpg
    Of course, everything else wants to pile up here....that wavy 1 x 6? Set up the rip fence to make a few cuts, after I cut the 30" down a bit, and the large knot thrown away...more trimming going on, until I got enough "good" parts for bread board work..
    ends.jpg
    Hmm, those short ones were to cause a bit of trouble, later.....reset the fence and the height of the blade...was unable to use the Stanley 45...couldn't get the parts to stand still long enough..
    grooves.jpg
    the "plan" for these was to do a through mortise and tenon joint...that WAS the plan....Laid out for the tenon part...at least on the narrower top shelf...and made a lot of cuts
    wide tenon.jpg
    Then a hammer to crack the waste away, chisel to get things almost flat, then an old plane came by..
    cleaned tenon.jpg
    And cleaned things up. Underhill version, need a few long tenons laid out..
    was going to at least give it a try....should have known better....
    Stay tuned..

Ok, tenon lay out....I used a wide chisel to get the spacings..
    tenon lay out.jpg
    Used the backsaw to make the vertical cuts...then this strange contraption..
    coping saw.jpg
    Coping saw, right? Note that little block of wood back there, it is where things went downhill, badly...laid out the two through mortise locataions....was having a lot of trouble holding that little thing still, to do ONE mortise, one thing led to another...and the part just split....and was promptly send on it's way to the trash can, via Air Mail....had to make a new part...this time the router table came out. Not only new grooves were made, older ones were touched up...was getting a bit mean....decided to just do a Tongue & groove joint...glued and pinned...yeah, was that ticked off..Marines were blushing even..

Was finally able to get the top shelf clamped up...
    top glued up.jpg
    Set it aside...and worked on the parts for the lid...without the bother of the through tenon stuff...
    lid glue up.jpg
    Will let both sit overnight, and then pin them later....then try to find the angles I need....then maybe start on a few drawers...
    Maybe tomorrow will be better? Stay tuned...