Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: In search of a project idea...

In search of a project idea...

Although I have a plan for tool storage for the shop....I would rather not use "good" hardwood for it. So, until I get a full sheet of plywood to the shop....

Today was a road trip....my supplier of hardwood had returned home! Picked up a few planks of Ash....five 1 x 6 x 6' and a 2 x 4 x 8'.....$17.

Letting the boards sit a spell, they were stored in an unheated garage, while I figure out what could be made from this stash.... Will be researching for a few days....

Just watched a Follansbee/Underhill show....a Carved Oak Desk Box......hmmmmm..since I do not carve......and have a supply of Ash, ......An Ash Desk Box?

Need to do a bit of figuring.....and sleep on this a bit....let the Single Brain Cell Sketch Up have a little time to work...

Maybe resaw the 2 x 4 stock down for the thin drawer parts....might be fun....and maybe keep me out of trouble....Will have to figure out the overall sizes.....

May get made as a stand-up desk?
    Last edited by steven c newman; 01-03-2019 at 10:11 AM.

Hmmm....maybe a blend between a desk box, and a standing desk......Have drawn a bit on some paper....working on a cut list for a base....one that someone could sit at.....

Need to start cutting for a top for the base, and glue up a panel. Mill a few aprons....and four legs. Tapered, or square? Lower stretchers?

Get the base done, first.....then see what sort of Computer Hutch to build....May hinge the sloped lid a bit differently.....where it can open towards the front, to allow a keyboard/laptop to sit...

Hmmmm...glue up a panel for that? Almost like a Secretary Desk?

Methinks this may take a few weeks to build....

Trying to bring something like this..
    front view.jpg
    Into the Computer Age....

Stilling thinking things through.....May glue up a panel...but not for the hutch to sit on.....may "picture frame" a 3" wide frame for the top of the base....mitered corners?
    Instead of hinged at the top, like this..
    lid opened.jpg
    Maybe hinge it to the front?
    Stay tuned....
    Last edited by steven c newman; 01-03-2019 at 11:36 AM.

Sitting here, tired and soaked....never needed a fan in the shop, this time of year...either it is too warm, or I was working way too hard...

Drawing a few lines on paper,,
    IMG_7201 (640x324).jpg
    Going with what lumber I have..
    IMG_7202 (191x640).jpg
    Trying to save back the "better stuff"..
    IMG_7203 (480x640).jpg
    May save this for a lid....hauled stuff to the shop...cleared the bench..
    IMG_7204 (640x480).jpg
    Needed to clean off the saw...
    IMG_7205 (640x480).jpg
    Hauked the 2 x 4 x 8' to the shop...one end was nasty looking..
    IMG_7207 (640x480).jpg
    Firewood? Managed to get enough for the legs blanks, anyway..
    IMG_7208 (640x480).jpg
    Got the saw moved around, set up the rip fence for 1-1/2" strong...
    IMG_7209 (640x480).jpg
    Rip cut until square ( almost)
    Stay tuned...

Had some scraps leftover....may find a use for these, yet..(trim ? )
    IMG_7210 (640x480).jpg
    Got a chance to try out the new vise, and the dogs...
    IMG_7211 (640x480).jpg
    May look into something to make the jaws sit parallel...The WR 62 was for clean-up, after the ..
    IMG_7212 (640x458).jpg
    After the Stanley No. 6c, Type 10 got done.....4 legs...@ ..4 sides each....=
    IMG_7213 (640x480).jpg
    Between me dripping on things, and me nose dripping...made a wee bit of a mess...then looked over and saw the fan sitting there..unused...anyway, got the legs milled to size..
    IMG_7214 (640x480).jpg
    Taking a break for a while...need to make a few aprons, and stretchers, new time..
    Stay tuned

Well, after a nice long break...plan WAS to simply haul one plank to the shop...that was the plan....wound up cross cutting the plank for both the long aprons and the short aprons.....then reset the rip fence
    aprons.jpg
    Blade was set to exactly the middle of the two boards...one edge was a tad wavy, ran that edge through, removed the waves. The leftover 2 x 4?
    Well, reset fence to around 3/4" or so....and ran the 2 x 4 through..
    stretchers.jpg
    And now I have enough stock to make the lower leg stretchers....one or two will be a foot rest...we'll see. Plane to smooth these out, later..
    Decided to layout for tenons, wound up doing a bit more..
    cut out.jpg
    1/2 pint can of stain, to lay out the curves, bandsaw to make the cuts...
    two cut outs.jpg
    Plane to make them match...spokeshave for the lowlands...used one of these as a pattern..
    all done.jpg
    All set to mill the tenons, even set up the "machine" for that..
    mitre saw.jpg
    All shoulder cuts will be done here.
    Mother Nature then decided I was "needed" upstairs....so this was as far as I got this evening..

Maybe tomorrow, I can get something done? Stay tuned...

Ok, tenons are usually done first in my shop...YMMV. I set a combo square to 1/2", lock it down tight....as it will see a lot of use. Spent 2 hours in the shop this afternoon...got a little bit done
    Set up the mitersaw
    stock holders.jpg
    Half the shoulder cuts needed these set up...also set up a stop block
    stop block.jpg
    So I get a 1/2" tenon length...marked a few layout lines..
    laid out.jpg
    All these marks are from the same setting on the square...rather than keep changing settings..
    lay out square.jpg
    Trying for a 1/4" thick tenon..Once the first shoulder cut looked good for depth...I could set the depth stops of the mitre saw
    depth stops.jpg
    Which are holding the saw up....back one was being a bit..difficult, had to keep an eye on things...
    shoulder cuts.jpg
    Shoulder cuts are done...so, that leaves the cheek cuts...
    laid out lines.jpg
    Again, same square to lay out a couple lines...
    cheek cuts.jpg
    Backsaw to make the cuts..helps if I wax the blade a bit. Thumbnail on the left hand acted as a saw guide, so I could saw straight across, and down.
    Wide, sharp chisel to clean things up....
    Stay tuned, part 2 is coming right up..

Part2....each tenon needed a couple more cuts made. laid out with the same square..
    notch laid out.jpg
    Then a backsaw to cross cut, using the shoulders as a guide, then the chisel to "pop" the waste off....somehow managed to get all the aprons done..
    tenons done.jpg
    And set aside. Legs needed trimmed for square, and at least close to all the same length....one leg had a bulged out spot...#3 plane to "un-bulge" it. Then, set up a bead plane
    beading plane.jpg
    It WAS set up as a plough plane. reset into a bead plane....ran two edges, which ever were the "outside" show corners...you can see a couple ..
    4 beads.jpg
    Was able to hold each leg between the dogs, while I ran the planes. Dug out the mortise jig..
    jigged.jpg
    Went to screw it to the bench....every drill in the shop had a dead battery? Then noticed I needed to tenon two short stretchers, after I had milled them for size...
    Supper time....may head back later, with a charged up battery, and see what else I can cobble up..
    Stay tuned

Now have two stretchers cut to size, S4S....and ready for tenons in the morning...

Plane used? Millers Falls No. 11. Has zero camber, BTW...

Pictures....
    IMG_7237 (640x480).jpg
    Made a mess, didn't it?
    IMG_7238 (640x480).jpg
    Jointed both edges, until both boards matched each other...note the grain?
    IMG_7239 (640x480).jpg
    Didn't need a BIG jointer plane for this job...
    IMG_7240 (640x480).jpg
    Nor a real fancy one.....may meander towards the shop, in a bit, mill some tenons, chop some mortises....get the base ready for a glue up, maybe...

Shop time today...1300 to 1600hrs....about 3 hours worth...and I am tuckered out. Cleaned that mess of shavings up, set up the Joinery Bench
    work station.jpg
    Nice when I can just sit a spell
    tenon work.jpg
    Just like yesterday...mitersaw for the shoulder cuts, backsaw for the cheek cuts, chisel for clean ups
    trimmed.jpg
    Use the shoulders to guide the saw, chisel and a tap of the mallet to remove the extras....set up to chop a few mortises
    usual suspects.jpg
    Usual suspects rounded up...once a mortise is laid out..
    laid out.jpg
    Then chopped out..
    mortise done.jpg
    Then a test fit..or two
    test fit.jpg
    Will do for now rotate end for end,,,and lay out for the stretcher's mortise...bottom edge of the stretcher is 5" above the end of the leg (sweeper clearance )
    stretcher fits.jpg
    Set this aside, on to the next leg..and the next...and..
    Tried to keep the tenons in the center of the legs. had to keep checking, to make sure I was using the correct "face" for each leg..
    Stay tuned...

Got to the point I could clamp one side together as a dry fit...
    dry fit 1.jpg
    Set this aside, out of the way. Worked on the other side assembly...
    dry fit 2.jpg
    They are both dry fitted. And, they are standing there on their own 2 feet.

"Mickey Mouse" said it was 1600 hrs....time to close the shop....not too bad of a day? Even got the long aprons sanded until they matched each other...need to chop mortises for those...tomorrow...

I am plumb tuckered out....maybe I'll get some sleep tonight?

Stay tuned...

Hey....pulled an "all nighter" last night.....yep, slept straight through until this morning....must have been tired.

Part of this "design" is a lid you would open and lay down towards the front of the desk, like a Secretary style of desk...to provide a place for the keyboards to sit. When the lid is closed, it will look like a writing desk...complete with a "stop" near the bottom, to keep books/laptops from sliding down.....may use that "stop" as a prop when the lid is opened.....as soon as I figure out how to hinge the lid....will be a 1 x 2 across the front, where the lid will get hinged....

Sides of the hutch/desk? may only be 6" tall, as a shelf top to hold the monitor will need to be about eye level.... Need to figure out how long the sides will be, thinking maybe 1/2 to 2/3 of the depth of the desk? Keyboards only need about 6" or so? 8" at the most? May see about a way to attach the keyboard to the lid....or just leave it loose?

Desk sits on the base I am building now. Does it NEED a solid top, or just a frame, wide enough for the desk to sit on ( plywood panel inside the desk?)....maybe mitered corner frame? Splined, or Tongue & Groove miters ?

Trying to get the base glued up by this evening.....then work on the above "details".......at least I don't have to make a chair to go with this....
    Stay tuned....

Have 24 photos from today's workout.....trying to arrange them into some sort of story....didn't even get to the shop until after 3pm ( ravens/chargers were just into the 4th..) and didn't get back upstairs until after 7pm....when I had to do a Forrest Gump..( I gots to go.....) 2 glue-up were done, couple other dry fits were done....IF I am not boring anybody....I'll see about writing something....
    Tease, for now
    IMG_7263 (640x480).jpg
    IMG_7265 (640x480).jpg
    Corner blocks....
    IMG_7266 (640x480).jpg
    Needed to S4S a couple boards..
    IMG_7269 (640x480).jpg
    Stay tuned...

Lets see...coves were made ( I don't have a cutter for the Stanley 45, yet)
    router lift.jpg
    Use a router lift to set the depth of the cut..
    Legs got two coves..
    leg details.jpg
    Leg stretchers did too..
    stretcher details.jpg
    Only on the outside "show" sides....aprons got a single cove

apron.jpg
    Once all the coves were done, I chopped the 4 mortises to install the long aprons...had to keep everything marked, as to who went where...then a couple glue ups

1 glue up.jpg
    Had to "adjust" things a bit, to get these squared up...after the second end was in the clamps, a dry fit for the long aprons
    IMG_7274 (640x480).jpg
    No glue on the long aprons....needed to make a few other parts. 4 corner blocks were sawn, drilled, and countersunk.
    The two 1 x 2s for the foot rest needed a lot of work....jointed one edge of each board with a No. 6c....set the rip fence @2" width, joint that sawn edges. The the #6c and the No. 11 face plane both boards, to get to S4S....ends were cut for square. Will install these with counter-bored screws, and cover with plugs.
    Just over 3 hours of shoptime, today....
    messy bench.jpg
    For some reason, I am a little tired this evening...
    Stay tuned..