Thread: Cutting 45* angles on 5.5 inch baseboard

Cutting 45* angles on 5.5 inch baseboard

We are installing 5.5" baseboard. our 10" chop saw will not cut 45* vertical cuts. I was thinking of renting a 12" chop saw. Will that do the job?Thanks
    Hello, My name is John and I am a toolaholic

My 12" will cut over 6" vertical against the fence (as long as it's not too thick) so it would easily handle 5.5 base. Does your saw have the ability to tilt over so you can cut it laying flat?

If you have a chop saw and not a compound miter saw this would be the time to upgrade to a CMS .

I think on my older Makita 10” chop saw IF you pad out the fence with a 1 1/2” thick sub fence you might find a sweet spot where the 5 1/2” base will fit in and just make the cut.

G-luck!

EDITED to add:
    I noticed your tag line. If you had to ask this questions it’s apparent you’ve kicked the “tool-a-holic” vise that formerly gripped you;-))
    Last edited by Paul Girouard; 01-02-2019 at 11:54 PM.

Blog Entries
    Recently had that issue while trimming out my son's new house, so we bit the bullet and bought a new 12" Dewalt DW715 for $180 at Lowes. https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....quot-miter-saw Only issue so far is that with the saw swung to the right, the motor will hit the vertical 6" board before completing the cut. Workaround is to pre-cut the board at 90 degrees a few inches long of your final cut.
    NOW you tell me...