Thread: Purchasing Green Lumber?

Purchasing Green Lumber?

I would like to purchase some green Birch to make Kuksas for the next Holiday gift giving. Is there anywhere that it can be purchased? Being in NW Arizona it is not available around here. The reason for green as opposed to dried is I understand it will be much easier to carve.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    I would like to purchase some green Birch to make Kuksas for the next Holiday gift giving. Is there anywhere that it can be purchased? Being in NW Arizona it is not available around here. The reason for green as opposed to dried is I understand it will be much easier to carve.
    I entered "birch" into Woodfinder and got these, the 10 closest to me according to my zip code:

Jeffries Fine Lumber Knoxville TN (21 miles)
    Klingspor's Woodworking Shop of Asheville Fletcher NC (102 miles)
    Benny's Woodworks & Discounts - Your accessories hot spot Bell Buckle TN (127 miles)
    CAG Lumber/ Div. ATD Gainesville GA (130 miles)
    Woodcraft - Lexington, KY Lexington KY (131 miles)
    Rockler Woodworking and Hardware #41- Kennesaw Kennesaw GA (146 miles)
    Rockler Woodworking and Hardware #29 Sandy Springs (Atlanta) GA (150 miles)
    Advantage Trim & Lumber Co Grover NC (160 miles)
    Klingspor's Woodworking Shop of Hickory Hickory NC (163 miles)
    Marwood, Inc (See our website for veneer special offers) Jeffersonville IN (175 miles)

These are only those dealers who signed up for woodfinder. Most are probably not green wood but you can try "green wood" or "sawmill" or "sawmill, birch" as keywords. Also, Woodmizer keeps a list of those with their mills willing to cut for others. Some of these are sure to have birch.

Woodfinder will give you addresses, phone numbers, etc
    Try it.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I entered "birch" into Woodfinder and got these, the 10 closest to me according to my zip code:

Jeffries Fine Lumber Knoxville TN (21 miles)
    Klingspor's Woodworking Shop of Asheville Fletcher NC (102 miles)
    Benny's Woodworks & Discounts - Your accessories hot spot Bell Buckle TN (127 miles)
    CAG Lumber/ Div. ATD Gainesville GA (130 miles)
    Woodcraft - Lexington, KY Lexington KY (131 miles)
    Rockler Woodworking and Hardware #41- Kennesaw Kennesaw GA (146 miles)
    Rockler Woodworking and Hardware #29 Sandy Springs (Atlanta) GA (150 miles)
    Advantage Trim & Lumber Co Grover NC (160 miles)
    Klingspor's Woodworking Shop of Hickory Hickory NC (163 miles)
    Marwood, Inc (See our website for veneer special offers) Jeffersonville IN (175 miles)

These are only those dealers who signed up for woodfinder. Most are probably not green wood but you can try "green wood" or "sawmill" or "sawmill, birch" as keywords. Also, Woodmizer keeps a list of those with their mills willing to cut for others. Some of these are sure to have birch.

Woodfinder will give you addresses, phone numbers, etc
    Try it.

JKJ
    Thanks John! I didn't know Woodfinder existed until you mentioned it. Unfortunately nothing popped up during a few searches. I'll put more time into it again a little later but I may have to look into another type of wood for this project, possibly one of the species available locally through urban harvesting. I was really fortunate to find recent cuttings of Elm, Pecan, Mesquite, Ash & Magnolia, all incredibly in NW Arizona. Hopefully I can find something suitable in green wood for my Kuksa projects.